Author Topic: On-Access Protection causes Vista to hang on shutdown  (Read 10128 times)

gpzbc

Re: On-Access Protection causes Vista to hang on shutdown
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 04:32:38 AM »
Thanks for the tip.

I have been combing the event viewer and there is nothing obvious.  I'll keep watching it.

I just disabled Avast self-protection.  I will see if that helps and let you know.  Thanks.

gpzbc

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 06:25:03 AM »
Well, back to the drawing board.  >:(
My computer just hung on shutdown despite the fact that I had On-Access Protection and the self-defense module disabled.
sigh....

So I guess the culprit is still yet to be found.

gpzbc

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 10:33:01 PM »
Try exiting nvidia(if u are using nvidia)or other program from the system tray, I also had this problem and it was solved after I did this. You could do this thru msconfig and uncheck programs that are unnecessary at startup. I also thought it was avast! at first but when I did this I did not have problems shutting down anymore. Try it then you could tell me if it also worked for you.

I am going to try testing this now to see if it stops the hang on shutdown problem.

In MSConfig, there are three nvidia startups.  They are:
    * nvidia compatible windows vista display driver, version 176.44
    * nvidia media center library
    * nvidia hotkey service, version 176.44

I think I am going to disable the nvidia media center library and the hotkey service.  But I think I will leave the display driver alone since it seems like I might need that. 
Can anyone advise me?

As always, thanks!

Alioth

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 11:44:38 PM »
I advice you should try update your NVIDIA drivers (also, your problem remind me I had to update my display drivers too, so I have just did it ;D) ad your system before disabling anything.

Look up Windows Update, because there should appear something like "NVIDIA drivers update" (I suppose it because I haven't found any information about version 176.44, only later versions) as optional update. You can manually download the updates from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us.

In addition, you should ensure that your system is up to date, i.e. you have all updates and Service Pack 1.

If this procedure doesn't solve either your problem, I'm agree with you, you should only disable media center library and hotkey service, but you should learn before how get these startups back if any problem appears (for example, if your computer is unable to display anything, you should boot on VGA mode, etcetera).

I hope this helps you!

gpzbc

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:57 AM »
Hmmm...   That's weird.  Windows Update tells me that I have the latest nvidia driver installed.  And I went to the Dell drivers website and they also say that I have the latest version.

Well, I think that since I am having problems, I am going to update to the version 179.48 that is available on the Nvidia website.  Hopefully it will help.  If it doesn't then I will just roll back  the driver update.

I'll keep you posted.  Thanks for your help.

gpzbc

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »
Well, I updated to the most current Nvidia driver and nothing changed.... for better or worse.  It still kept hanging on shutdown.
So I tried a few other things and I think I found the culprit.
It is the "sstray64.exe" process that is running as part of the Sigmatel Audio Driver.  Specifically it is the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio driver that was provided by Dell.  Version 6.10.0.5866, A03.   Unfortunately there are no updates or newer versions that are compatible with a 64 bit OS.
So for now, I simply disabled the "sstray64.exe" process and it is no longer hanging on shutdown.  If there are any negative side effects of having that disabled or if there is lost functionality, I can not find it.  I haven't noticed anything not working.

I realize this no longer applies to Avast, but I thought I would post here just in case someone else runs into the same problem and ends up here.

Here are the links to the Dell forums where it has been discussed.
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19267026/19475599.aspx#19475599
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19257296/19466333.aspx#19466333

Thanks and good luck!