Author Topic: unable to scan  (Read 4793 times)

Offline dap106

unable to scan
« on: April 12, 2009, 09:41:17 PM »
my computer is is just not right..i have been pretty good at keeping it going good but now can't seem to..i scanned computer( read that scanning in safe mode not necessary..not that i know how to!)..at the end after not finding any problems..there is a list of things..(files?) that are listed as Unable to Scan..maybe my problem lies therein?!..what can be done about this if anything..I have Avast home ed.free..thank you and I am not computer saavy.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: unable to scan
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:46:08 PM »
By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
The best things in life are free.

Offline dap106

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »
By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

I thank you for your time!..I do not know how to expand these files..when I right click on them nothing opens..where can i go to be able to do this as i some seem to be system files..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »
I do not know how to expand these files.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:20:09 PM »
- Expand Column Width, hover the mouse pointer over the column header divider until the pointer changes (see image) left click and hold down the key whilst dragging the pointer to the right.

@ Tech
You might want to expand this image and copy it, as you can't see the image you posted in detail (too small)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »
@ Tech
You might want to expand this image and copy it, as you can't see the image you posted in detail (too small)
Thanks. Done.

Offline dap106

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:49:20 PM »
@ Tech
Thanks. Done.
thank you again David..I will try to follow and decipher your directions although on the' Unable to Scan' box that showed up i was not successful..and I did not post an image so don't understand what you meant by the image I posted being too small..I apologize for being so ignorant!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:55:08 PM by dap106 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:06:34 PM »
At the top of the window for the files that can't be scanned, is a list of headings these say what is in the 'column' example file name or location or description, it is just saying what is in that column. These headers are so you can't see what is in the column, often these are of a fixed size and there is a divider between columns. So you need to expand them and you do that by dragging this divider.

The comment on image size was under @ Tech, meaning it was a comment directed at him (Tech).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security