Author Topic: avast causes windows explorer to crash (Vista Home Premium SP1)  (Read 7324 times)

ps

Whenever I tried to open a directory (like the Control Panel or Documents folder), Windows Explorer would hang and then crash and have to restart.  This would not happen every time, but 8 out of 10 times it would.  I uninstalled Avast, and for the past 3 days, I've had no problems with the computer (I installed Avira AV in the meantime).  I really like Avast because it seems to be way less bloated than Avira, and my computer runs faster in terms of the programs I use, but the explorer hang is really a bummer.

I was using the latest free version of Avast Home (not a beta version) that you can get on your website.  Is there some setting I can change or something I can do, so that this doesn't happen?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast causes windows explorer to crash (Vista Home Premium SP1)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 04:46:39 PM »
After you use Add/Remove to remove Avira, you should use Avira Antivir RegistryCleaner as well as the appropiate "Uninstallation Package", both of which can be found at: http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html
The best things in life are free.

ps

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 04:51:20 PM »
Oh dear.  I feel I cluttered my initial question with extra information.  I do not need help in uninstalling any AV software.  My question has to do with Windows Explorer crashing when I use Avast!  It hangs and then has to restart (the details are something like AppHang or something -- I didn't take a screenshot, but maybe there is a log of all the crashes somewhere?).

I only installed another AV program after uninstalling Avast (using the tool on the avast website) so that I would have some interim protection.  Currently my computer is fine, no crashes, which is why I think it was Avast which caused the problem.  Like I said, I would like to use your product because I like it, but I have this problem.  Is this a known issue?  Is there a solution for it?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:59:41 PM by ps »

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:11:35 PM »
That's weird as I just noticed this as well when I open Computer it crashes and it never did that before.

It just started doing this since I installed Vista Services Optimizer so I think I'll un-install it and reboot.

This is what I see in Event Log
Code: [Select]
Faulting application Explorer.EXE, version 6.0.6001.18164, time stamp 0x4907e242, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a7a6, exception code 0xc000071c, fault offset 0x00089825,
process id 0x558, application start time 0x01c9bc4801a900d0.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 05:19:44 PM »
ps, I see no reason for the crash, so I can't help further. Maybe there is any kind of infection in your computer or the Windows registry became corrupt in somehow, in some key.

It just started doing this since I installed Vista Services Optimizer so I think I'll un-install it and reboot.
Restore original settings (you should have done a backup before changing Windows previous settings).

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »
I rest all Services to Normal with Vista Services Optimizer and now I do not have a problem so I have un-installed it.

I'll watch what is going on and report back if I see it happen again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 05:28:29 PM »
It would be good to detect which service configuration was related to this error.

ps

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »
Maybe there is any kind of infection in your computer or the Windows registry became corrupt in somehow, in some key.

Hmm, well I don't it's a virus, as I scanned my machine using 2 online scanners.  I guess it could be the registry, but I think I'll just give up using Avast.  Also, even after using your removal tool in Safe Mode, I just noticed, there are still entries in my registry for Alwil Software.  How do I get rid of them?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 11:58:37 PM »
I just noticed, there are still entries in my registry for Alwil Software.  How do I get rid of them?
Are they under the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001 or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003 or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004 etc.

These keys are left behind by Windows restore and will be deleted by Windows automatically later.

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 05:17:34 PM »
It would be good to detect which service configuration was related to this error.
There are too many Service configurations in Vista Services Optimizer and too many things it detects as not optimized and all I need disabled is DNS Client service as that is un-necessary on my system.

I don't use Steve Gibson's utilities for disabling un-necessary Services as Visa has resolved those issues.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 02:10:44 AM »
My Vista system is having an Explorer crash again and I have to use System Restore to go back to the last restore point to recover.

sst

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 02:43:38 PM »
Hi, ...

I have the same, Explorer problems crash, ...

=

Produit
Windows Explorer

Problème
A cessé de fonctionner et a été fermé

Date
2009-04-12 10:39

Statut
Rapport envoyé

Description
Un problème a provoqué l’arrêt de l’interaction de ce programme avec Windows.

Signature du problème
Nom d’événement du problème :   AppHangB1
Nom de l'application:   Explorer.EXE
Version de l'application:   6.0.6001.18164
Horodatage de l’application:   4907e791
Signature de blocage:   eb94
Type de blocage:   517
Version du système:   6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Identificateur de paramètres régionaux:   3084
Signature de blocage supplém. 1:   b39434fa942775d6ce354ad4648d6d67
Signature de blocage supplém. 2:   33a8
Signature de blocage supplém. 3:   f29eacbb7f39e699b56b6a8b33b6187b
Signature de blocage supplém. 4:   eb94
Signature de blocage supplém. 5:   b39434fa942775d6ce354ad4648d6d67
Signature de blocage supplém. 6:   33a8
Signature de blocage supplém. 7:   f29eacbb7f39e699b56b6a8b33b6187b

Informations complémentaires sur le problème
ID du récipient :   408060504
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use Avast Home V4.8.1335., Vista x64 Premium SP1.
---
I have that "Explorer, not responding" = (Using slow media = CD/DVD, Usb drive, and others media) or (open several softwares, at the sametime) or (Try to use and/or open several window, like [control panel and computer section and disk explorer], more than one), Or do fast switch of program(s), or move, copy files.
---
Also, it's seem related to have "Avast", inside = Vista x32, x64, not in XP.

---
I see "Explorer.EXE", not the name "Explorer.exe" or "explorer.exe". Is this normal, to see the "Explorer.EXE" name = With uppercase ".EXE".
---

----------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 02:53:26 PM by sst »