Author Topic: Avast Splash screen at keeps crashing  (Read 14915 times)

husskii

Avast Splash screen at keeps crashing
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:13:47 AM »
Hi I'm using Avast 4.8 pro on XP Vista & Win7. Avast works great on both XP and Win7, but everytime I try to start Avast! Antivirus in vista, the splash screen keeps crashing.. When it crashes, a windows (problem reporting center) screen pops up saying that avast splash screen has crashed and if I want to close app or close app and search for a solution.. If I dnt press anything and just wait till avast loads & then if I press close, avast will stay open and work but if I press close while its loading, then avast will just close.  I have tried updates from MS that are supposed to help with certain apps crashing, and it hasn't helped.. Has anyone come across this problem before, that can maybe give a little insight on whats going on or maybe how I can resolve?
I'm using an Acer Extensa 5220
Intel Celeron processor 540 (1.86 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)
1.5GB DDR2 ram,
Win Vista SP1

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Avast Splash screen at keeps crashing
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 06:36:47 AM »
It's a possibility that you had a previous version of some type of A/V that was NOT avast and it's giving you an issue.  Can you please tell us if you have had anything else installed before you put avast on that machine?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

husskii

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »
My notebook came pre-installed with norton, but I still had to register then activate. As soon as i started windows, I went to programs & features, then removed norton and live updates, after that I installed Avast and went from there....

onlysomeone

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 01:11:55 PM »
Download and use the norton removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

After this un- and reinstall avast or try a repair of the avast installation (via the control panel - add/remove programs)

Hopefully this helps - please post back the results :)

yours
onlysomeone

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 03:42:22 AM »
Thanks onlysomeone.  As he stated, the removal tool should help greatly.

As usual, Norton can be a "PITA" to remove, and the removal tool is about the only thing that can totally get rid of it.  I'm sure that as soon as you run the tool (and reboot), things will be running normally.

I can't wait until they (big hardware manufacturers) stop bundling this, well, "crap" that they call A/V programs on their computers.  It really is more of a nuisance than a benefit.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

husskii

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 05:15:00 AM »

I can't wait until they (big hardware manufacturers) stop bundling this, well, "crap" that they call A/V programs on their computers.  It really is more of a nuisance than a benefit.
You said it m8, not only does it not detect infections properly, but it also uses up most of your CPU to run... Thats my theory anyways..

Back to topic, I ran the removal tool twice and after both restarts, I attempted to run Avast & Both time it crashed... I also went into regedit and looked for anything that had symantic or norton in the name, I found 1folder labeled symantic so I decided to delete it. I then ran the removal tool again, but still no luck.... :(

onlysomeone

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 08:35:04 AM »
did you reinstall avast after using the removal tool of norton?

husskii

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:42:23 AM »
**I just removed and reinstalled Avast, but still when I try to start Avast! Antivirus it crashes. This time when I start avast! Antivirus, the first time I try, it will crash & then the second time, it works. this will happen continuously, and every second attempt works...
strange  ???
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:14:27 AM by husskii »

onlysomeone

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 10:23:31 AM »
can you try running the Simple User Interface 2?
You can find it nomaly in the following direction:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimp2.exe

yours
onlysomeone

husskii

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 10:50:17 AM »
You just wanted me to try open ashSimp2.exe didn't you... Anyways I tried running ashSimp2.exe, and it open up with no hiccups....

onlysomeone

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 10:57:58 AM »
You just wanted me to try open ashSimp2.exe didn't you... Anyways I tried running ashSimp2.exe, and it open up with no hiccups....

Yes, thats what i wanted :)

And you don't use any other security software besides Avast and windows firewall? (antivirus, firewall, antispyware,...)

have you already run a boottime scan?

you could try to run Malwarebytes Antimalware and/or Superantispyware to make sure you are not infected...

husskii

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 11:35:20 AM »
I do have sandboxie as well, nothing else... I havent done a boottime scan, since re-install... I'll do one now and see if it helps, as for infections I hope not, but I guess i'll try them options too....

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:39:36 AM by husskii »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »
You might have to remove avast with the avast removal tool as well.  Get back to a clean slate, you know?

Then, you can try installing avast again, and see if the problem has been fixed.

You can get the removal tool from here: http://avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

husskii

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »
I tried using avast uninstall tool but avast still crashes. I also noticed that when I open my browser, I don't get the avast script blocker popup, I completed a scan with malwarebyts anti-malware and it came up clean, but Im not confident that my pc is fully protected.

Mjolnir07

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 01:53:23 AM »
Same problem here, truly frustrating. Nothing fixes it, Avast won't issue a refund.