Author Topic: Avast 4.8 Home Edition on Windows Vista Home - Scheduled Boot Time Scan Disabled  (Read 8526 times)

RonSoda

Hello

I am trying to trouble shoot a problem with my gf's moms PC which happens to be a fairly new.
We are experiencing a problem with Vista not Shutting down, I tried to see what is running but Task Manager is minimized and will not open fully which raised a red flag.
I went to AVAST and tried to schedule boot time scan and found it disabled. Is this supposed to be greyed out? I find this really wierd.

Thank you in advance

Ronsoda

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You don't say what Version of Vista she is using (also 32bit or 64bit OS) and this is critical to being able to do a boot-time scan.

64bit OSes versions of Vista and XP cant use this (nor can older OSes like win9x, winME); so for all of those the option would be greyed out.

Also if the account being used is a limited user account then I don't know if the option would also be greyed out.

What other security software is installed ?
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

New systems often come with an AV pre-installed or a trial version of one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RonSoda

Task Manager is not greyed out when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, its there, but when i click on it, it minimizes and i cannot open it, right click on it, nothing.

The version of OS not sure if its 64 or 32bit it doesn't say, at least i can't find it

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I thought by your first post you were talking about the scheduling of a boot-time scan ???

So what you are in fact reporting is two separate issues, not being able to schedule a boot-time scan as by the only question asked, it is greyed out and that was the focus of my response.

Quote from: RonSoda
I went to AVAST and tried to schedule boot time scan and found it disabled. Is this supposed to be greyed out?

Task Manager has nothing to do with avast and you can't reach the scheduling of an avast boot-time scan from there. So I'm unsure why this is happening and I don't use Vista either 32bit or 64bit, so I can't really help in that matter.

Normally the my computer, view system information (system properties) would give information on the OS version.

You didn't answer the questions about other security software or AVs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hally

Hi Ronsoda :)

First Thing!
If you follow my first set of instructions you'll then be able to tell us if the Vista Computer is 32-bit or 64-bit  ;)
As.. Boot Time Scan .. Is only available on 32-bit systems.

1/   Click On - Start
2/   Click On - Control Panel
3/   Click On - System and Maintenance
4/   Click On - System
Now you should be able to see lots of information about the computer - Including...
System Type   32-bit Operating System
OR
System Type   64-bit Operating system

Second Thing!
I'm guessing that you're worried the problem with Task Manager could be an indication of the computer being Infected   :(

Try This...
1) Right Click the Task bar
2) Click On - Task Manager
Does it work the way it should do now?

Also if the account being used is a limited user account then I don't know if the option would also be greyed out.

What other security software is installed ?
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

New systems often come with an AV pre-installed or a trial version of one.

Please Answer David's Questions!
As left over bits of old security software can cause loads of problems  ::)

Hope This Helps!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:29:00 PM by Hally »

RonSoda

Schedule Boot time Scan is still greyed out in Avast.

the taskmanager was minimized and unable to open via C+A+D or right clicking on the taskbar. Found 2 trojans, used avast which found one, A2 Squared to remove a 2nd. Fixed the main problem of the PC which was vista wasn't shutting down properly. Now shutdowns properly.

Im at home so im not her PC anymore,  Im pretty sure thats where i found the PC info, it state whether it was 64bit or 32bit. Can't check it now.

My gf's mother is happy it works normally again.

I guess the remaining issue now is why is Schedule Boot Time Scan is greyed out still.

Thanks for the responses ppl.

onlysomeone

I guess the remaining issue now is why is Schedule Boot Time Scan is greyed out still.

To see if this is a problem or if this is like it should be, you have to do what already has been suggested:

1/   Click On - Start
2/   Click On - Control Panel
3/   Click On - System and Maintenance
4/   Click On - System
Now you should be able to see lots of information about the computer - Including...
System Type   32-bit Operating System
OR
System Type   64-bit Operating system

I attached a screenshot, where you can see how it more or less should look like (its not exactly the same, because I use a different OS)

Please post if you use a 32-bit OS or a 64-bit OS.

yours
onlysomeone
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:41:57 PM by onlysomeone »