Author Topic: Automated virus removal  (Read 9041 times)

LouieLepke

Automated virus removal
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »
Hi, I wonder if there is any way to automate the virus removal in 4.8 Home Edition, i.e. have the question of what to do about the virus be answered "Delete permanently". (Why would I want to keep them? To cuddle with?)

A search of this forum showed that somebody asked the same question in 2007:

Is-it possible to automatically remove viruses (say in quarantine) during a scan using "avast 4! Edition Familiale" ? Actually this soft stops and asks me for a choice (suppression, quarantine, ..) each time it finds a virus during a scan of my hard disks. This fact is particularly laborious when the scan duration is large (minutious scan).

...and got this somewhat snooty answer:

My own feeling on this is you should use the default interactive action. This way you know exactly what is going on with your system. If you are getting so many warnings, that you want to automate this process, I believe you should review your security practice - filter emails at source, delete from server rather than download them, review the sites they visit, etc.

See the avast help file, Resident Protection: Standard Shield Provider Settings - "Advanced" Page.
Click on Standard Shield and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the General answer No.

...which of course begs the question: how can you set options in a help file?

But really, does anybody know how to do this? I would be very grateful for an (informed) answer!  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Automated virus removal
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:54:44 PM »
This is possible only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).

Well, that's the way it is, I am afraid; you may call it a limitation of the Home Edition of avast!. In the Professional Edition, you can configure the task to perform automatic actions (or, don't do anything).
In the Home version, you may check the "Don't show again" checkbox in the Virus warning dialog - but only after the first virus has been found (because you won't see the virus dialog until then).

Or you can use Silent Mode:

Left click the 'a' blue icon.
It will start On-access protection

Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.
But take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28088.msg229736#msg229736

Do the same for the and Outlook/Exchange plugin.
The answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning. You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.

You can do the same for Standard Shield provider, but it won't be a good idea...

Silent mode in the case of the WebShield provider simply means that avast will keep pressing the "Abort connection" button for the user automatically.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:03:04 PM »
As the author of the snooty reply, it would have been nice to post the complete reply and not part of it as it is taken out of context ;D

Even though I mentioned why I feel it inappropriate, I did give the answer. The reference to the help file is not to change but to show the full information. Below that reference was a small extract as to how this is achieved.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LouieLepke

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:03:50 AM »
Hello all,
thanks Tech and DavidR for your replies. Tech; if it is indeed possible set Avast up the way you describe and have it do its job silently and present the results/infections at the end of the run, then I am perfectly satisfied with that.

I used to have AVG for anti-virus software but got p-ssed when my PC was infected for the second time with Virut while AVG was 'on guard' and thought I might give Avast a try. I don't see the point with anti-virus software that, like AVG, tells me 'after the fact' that my PC is infected. Does anybody else here?

Oh, and DavidR; I'm sorry that I was less than fair to you. You are perfectly right to say that it's wrong to quote somebody and not include the entire text. I stand corrected... :-[

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:13:55 PM »
No problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 01:22:09 AM »
Tech; if it is indeed possible set Avast up the way you describe and have it do its job silently and present the results/infections at the end of the run, then I am perfectly satisfied with that.
Go ahead, enjoy avast free ;)

LouieLepke

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:21:06 AM »
Tech; if it is indeed possible set Avast up the way you describe and have it do its job silently and present the results/infections at the end of the run, then I am perfectly satisfied with that.
Go ahead, enjoy avast free ;)

Yes, and I do enjoy it! I will attach a few .jpg's to this post that show the result of last nights scan where I used the settings you recommended. Comments would be much appreciated. 'Bye for now.

PS: after some 12 hours of (thorough) scanning 3% were done...but then there are some 1,25 TB to scan, most of it on USB 2.0 external drives.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:46:19 PM »
First you shouldn't be trying to delete files just because they can't be scanned.

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35347.msg297170#msg297170 this topic for more information on why files can't be scanned.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Only those positively detected as viruses should be dealt with and I would still suggest deletion is a poor first option, move to the chest and investigate.

- Decompression Bomb, a file that is highly compressed, which could be very large when decompressed. This used to be a tactic long ago to swamp the system, also see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15389.msg131213#msg131213.

The name really is the most dangerous thing about this and I wish they would change it or simply not report it, a real PITA.

LouieLepke

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 06:01:30 PM »
Thank you DavidR, I will check out the links. On the subject of virus-infection; I would like your opinion on something a friend said the other day as you seem to know what you're talking about. This friend suggested I get a hardware fire-wall since a software fire-wall allows an intruder access way up to the highest levels in the OSI structure (to the 5:th or 6:th layer). What's your opinion?
You say:
...I wish they would change it or simply not report it, a real PITA.
What is PITA? I suppose from the context it has something to do with generating fear/concern where it really isn't warranted, but I'd like to know.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 06:40:05 PM »
What is PITA? I suppose from the context it has something to do with generating fear/concern where it really isn't warranted, but I'd like to know.
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/pita :-[

LouieLepke

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 06:54:14 PM »

LouieLepke

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 07:00:19 PM »
Welcome to avast forums ;)

Well, I really feel welcome!  :)

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 07:16:46 PM »
Well, I really feel welcome!  :)

Yes, we are like a big family here, helping each other! The avast forum is really great if you want to learn about avast, and if you have any questions, you often get fast answers :)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

LouieLepke

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 07:27:21 PM »
Yes, we are like a big family here, helping each other! The avast forum is really great if you want to learn about avast, and if you have any questions, you often get fast answers :)

So I've noticed, and how sweet it is...one thing though; what use is the "Insert Image"-button when I post? All that happens is I get left-bracket-IMG-right-bracket--left-bracket-slash-IMG-right-bracket and I'm sorry for being so dense, but what good is that? You can't copy/paste to inside the brackets...at least I can't...beats me.