Author Topic: Automated virus removal  (Read 9088 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Automated virus removal
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 07:51:07 PM »
Thank you DavidR, I will check out the links. On the subject of virus-infection; I would like your opinion on something a friend said the other day as you seem to know what you're talking about. This friend suggested I get a hardware fire-wall since a software fire-wall allows an intruder access way up to the highest levels in the OSI structure (to the 5:th or 6:th layer). What's your opinion?
<snip>

Well I don't know where they get their information as the firewall hardware or otherwise doesn't control access to so called higher levels, presumably they mean permissions and that is controlled by the Operating system (not the firewall) in two ways.

If you log-on using an account with administrative privileges by default any malware that came through would inherit those same permissions (again nothing to do with a firewall).

If you log-on with a limited user account there is such a thing as privilege escalation normally taking advantage of a vulnerability in software (out of date OS, etc.), again outside of the control of the firewall.

A hardware firewall unless it specifically states it doesn't have outbound protection.
Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential. Guess what, the hardware firewall couldn't do a thing about it as it is a request originating from the computer so would retain the permissions of the users account.

What is PITA? I suppose from the context it has something to do with generating fear/concern where it really isn't warranted, but I'd like to know.

By now you have had the acronyms explanation of pain in the rear ;D

A belated welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »
So I've noticed, and how sweet it is...one thing though; what use is the "Insert Image"-button when I post? All that happens is I get left-bracket-IMG-right-bracket--left-bracket-slash-IMG-right-bracket and I'm sorry for being so dense, but what good is that? You can't copy/paste to inside the brackets...at least I can't...beats me.

You paste the path to the image between the opening and closing IMG tags, the easiest method is to attach the image to the post.

- When you click the Reply button, there is an Additional Options link, this expands the options to attach a file, that can be an image file or a text file (.log or .txt).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LouieLepke

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 03:14:57 AM »
Thank you DavidR for a most thorough answer to my question. And a most welcome one at that, as setting one up (I have been through that rigmarole before) is a PITA I can do without  ;)
As for the image thingy, you say: "You paste the path to the image between the opening and closing IMG tags." What path? The path to an image residing on my PC or the path provided by an online media hosting site such as ImageShack?

In either case, it seems a moot point as the Paste option is grayed out on the right-click menu (on my PC, that is) as you can see below.
What I would want is simply the possibility to insert, by right-clicking and pasting, an image I had previously copied from a folder on my PC. Right there, in the post, not as an attachment. There are other fora (notably PC-World where I am a member) that let you do that, so it is possible.

And thanks for the welcome. Like I said before I do feel welcome. I like the low-key, friendly tone of the posts - makes a fella feel right at home, right away  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 03:55:01 AM »
The image tag is designed to import an image that you already have on the internet, somewhere like image shack as you mention or photobucket.com. So if you had an image shack account you visit that and copy the img location, see attached image and that is what you would paste between the IMG tags or just copy the complete code including the IMG bit and paste that anywhere in your post (below).

That is why I mentioned the easiest method to attach the image from your HDD.

First you have to have selected the path 'Copy' before that Paste option in the context menu is active. But that implies you have somewhere saved the URL for the image.

This forum software isn't an image editor so can't copy an image into the post, that is why you have to physically point to the file you want to attach and it uploads it.

LouieLepke

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 03:59:58 AM »
OK, thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 04:23:04 AM »
You're welcome.