Author Topic: Scan Stopped By Itself ?  (Read 3276 times)

geartech

Scan Stopped By Itself ?
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:13:23 PM »
Hi.

Basically, i left avast scanning (including archive files), whilst downloading a torrent file (uTorrent), but before, i left used CCleaner - while both were running. I left, and returned later, to find utorrent and avast closed. So the scan was stopped, and avast and uTorrent were exited. Any reason why this could happen ? Should i be worried ? Or is this my fault ?

Also, when on a website, it said it detected a trojan and aborted connection, but also asked me to agree to aborting connection... is there any risk of a trojan on my system now ?

Thanks for the help in advance :).

Offline RZPogi

Re: Scan Stopped By Itself ?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:40:26 PM »
well, about that utorrent and avast gone after ccleaner was done is a rare event. why not try to do that gain maybe it is just once of those bugs of both apps.

what is the it that you are referring avast or some other app.
If it is avast, quarantine the file and abort your connection. the malware withat trojan might not be detected by vast so it is better to be sure.

But if you're annoyed by avast always abort the internet when a virus/malware is found, open the on-access scanner. select webshield. click customize. go to "advanced" tab. uncheck "silent mode."
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »
Why you would want to initiate a file clean-up whilst as scan is in progress is a mystery to me as it could try to delete the files that avast extracts into its _avast4_ temp folder before they are scanned.

The logical thing would have been to have run ccleaner to get rid of some dross before initiating a scan.

Also downloading a (u)torrent is going to stress your system when added to doing a thorough scan with archives.

I wouldn't recommend using silent mode especially in the web shield, this is fast becoming the most common attack vector and you want notice of any detected infection and that alert draws your attention to it.

You could use silent mode and to all intents and purposes all you would notice that the web site doesn't appear at all or only partially (depends on what was detected). Now you have no clues as to why the web site isn't displaying as normal, etc. and you could be blaming all sorts whilst trying to track down why it isn't working.

The web shield alert is the best notification that there is something wrong with the site, probably it has been hacked and you should avoid it (until it is clear) and possibly report it to the site if it is one you regularly visit. That is why I feel it isn't advisable to use silent mode, but it is your system and your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:37:40 AM »
Hi.

Basically, i left avast scanning (including archive files), whilst downloading a torrent file (uTorrent), but before, i left used CCleaner - while both were running. I left, and returned later, to find utorrent and avast closed. So the scan was stopped, and avast and uTorrent were exited. Any reason why this could happen ? Should i be worried ? Or is this my fault ?

Also, when on a website, it said it detected a trojan and aborted connection, but also asked me to agree to aborting connection... is there any risk of a trojan on my system now ?

Thanks for the help in advance :).

A. Simple, you didn't uncheck Avast!, Last Downloaded File, edc... and it deleted all of those files.

B. Spyware infected your computers process.

C. Error when running those three programs.

(I choose 1!)

Edit: Oh wait, you had internet explorer running... (Possible virus downloaded while CCleaner was running)
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."