Author Topic: Avast Won't Scan  (Read 2501 times)

lovexholic

Avast Won't Scan
« on: April 15, 2009, 06:49:57 AM »
i tried to scan my computer today after restarting it when it suddenly froze. I right clicked the avast icon on the toolbar and selected the scan on the menu. It went to the splash screen, did the memory test, and loaded; but once the splash screen disappeared nothing else happened. The scan wouldn't open and when i tried to right click on the avast icon again, a menu wouldn't open at all. When i have my cursor hovering over it, it says that the on access scanner is running but i can't open it or anything. When i tried to open it from a short cut the same thing would happen (nothing happens after splash screen). This has happened before, and I don't know why it does. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that didn't fix anything. Is there anyway to solve this?

thank you!

EDIT: oops! I posted this to the wrong forum!! I'm very sorry! Can someone please move my post to avast! 4x Home/Pro? I run the free avast home edition. Thank you and sorry!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 06:53:11 AM by lovexholic »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Avast Won't Scan
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »
Sounds like you had another Anti-virus installed previously (before you installed avast).  Let us know.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

lovexholic

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:30:11 AM »
hi, thank you for the reply. The Avast! scan worked again after i restarted my computer. I don't know why it happens but it does periodically. I used to have norton installed on my computer but i was sure that i removed it. I removed norton through programs and features on Vista.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:11:35 AM »
Norton is a real pig to get rid of.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security