Author Topic: craigslist view freezes browser until system recovery  (Read 4694 times)

rrr555

craigslist view freezes browser until system recovery
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:25:47 PM »
Beginning 4/15/09, viewing craigslist will yield a web page cannot be displayed screen with an attempt at any address. Logout and establishing a new session will work normally with any address until craigslist is addressed, then all subsequent addresses will not work. If I do a system recovery, I can access craigslist once successfully, then it goes back to page cannot be displayed again. I cannot open a ticket with avast. Login yields a blank page. Win XP SP2, IE Explorer 6, Avast 4.8.1296, VPS 090416-0, dial up via netscape, no other virus software. Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: craigslist view freezes browser until system recovery
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 10:52:12 PM »
Any firewall? Any other security program?
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:55:07 PM »
I am not finding any problems with craigslist (using either Firefox 3 or IE7) on Windows XP SP3, avast 4.8.1335, VPS 090416-0. I have checked through a few different craigslist cities.

Can you give us a specific craigslist location that exhibits the problem for you?  Are you having any problems accessing other sites? 

Which avast providers do you have running?  If you turn off the avast Webshield does the problem with craigslist still persist?

I see you mention system recovery ... did you install this month's updates from Microsoft on 4/15?   

rrr555

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 03:06:56 AM »
Windows firewall. Tried on and off. No other security software. Spokane WA is my local but tried Seattle with same result. Providers from default install. No recent windows update. Paused webshield and problem went away. Turned webshield back on and problem still gone.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:37:26 PM »
Can you activate logging in WebShield?
0. (Disable avast self-defense module: Program settings > Troubleshooting tab of settings.)
1. Edit <avast>\data\avast4.ini file with Notepad (or use step 0 with other text editors).
2. Find the section [WebScanner]
3. Add the line:
    EnableLogging=1
4. Restart Web Shield in XP\Vista (terminate and start again) or whole PC in case of Win98
5. Browse (trying to access some webpages)

The log file are <avast>\data\log\ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws.
They would be accessible when WebShield is terminated again.
Post them here or send by mail to rypacek (at) asw.cz
After that, disable the logging to avoid a big log file.

Oh, enable the self-defense module again after that if you have to follow step 0.

Just that I'm not sure they can analyze the log that quickly as they are in the middle of version 5 development.
The best things in life are free.

rrr555

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 03:13:14 PM »
Thanks to all for your help. Will log if and when problem returns. :)