Author Topic: disable resident and close all related avast .exe's  (Read 7242 times)

jjohn

disable resident and close all related avast .exe's
« on: April 16, 2009, 12:45:48 AM »
Hello

How can I close all of the avast .exe files? I would like to use your scanner. But I will scan when I want. When I am not scanning I don't want your program running at all. I have tried everything to close it. If you try to ctrl alt delete aswDisp.exe it says Access Denied. Also if you try to edit the services for the 2 startup files to disabled it says access is denied. I delete all of the resident scans in the preferences.. so there is nothing there and I disabled everything and closed it and I am still seeing the system tray icon and a red (\) thru it. How can I make nothing start up on reboot without having to uninstall it everytime?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: disable resident and close all related avast .exe's
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:55:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
This is not the way Avast is intended to be used; it is designed as an on-access (resident) scanner, not a stand-alone on demand scanner.
I believe there are workarounds to partially do what you want, but it will not be ideal.
Why do you want to operate this way? There may be alternatives that can be suggested.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

jjohn

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 01:00:53 AM »
Hey. I would like it to be "standalone" I guess because I have a firewall installed and I will not be browsing anything because it is a server. I do not want anything open that i'm not using. I have many other things open and want all of the memory and ram I have available to be used for php, apache etc.  There is no settings for this? What about a way for me to override the services start up commands that are saying access denied. If I could do that I don't think anything would start up and if I wanted to use it I could goto services and start it myself.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:04:37 AM »
Try going to "program settings>troubleshooting" and disable the self-protection module.
That should get rid of the "access denied" message, and see how you go setting that up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 01:10:21 AM »
Hey. I would like it to be "standalone"
avast can't run this way. Need services, need system drivers.
The best things in life are free.

jjohn

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 01:25:11 AM »
Try going to "program settings>troubleshooting" and disable the self-protection module.
That should get rid of the "access denied" message, and see how you go setting that up.
Thanks. Rebooted after I did that and it worked. I am going to see if this get's rid of it now. Thanks again.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 01:55:51 AM »
You should take note of what Tech has said.
He knows this program (and computers) very well.

Alternative is DrWeb Cureit, a one-time standalone scanner.
I have read that Avira has an option to install without the resident active.
I don't know if it is possible to have any AV (designed to run as resident) to not start something with Windows.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 02:42:16 AM »
Alternative is DrWeb Cureit, a one-time standalone scanner.
Yeah. DrWeb CureIt is standalone.
The best things in life are free.