Author Topic: NEED IMMEDIATE HELP !!! Adobe Acrobat Reader 6  (Read 5617 times)

drahnier

NEED IMMEDIATE HELP !!! Adobe Acrobat Reader 6
« on: June 06, 2003, 08:25:29 AM »
Is this a false positive? Or is this real?

C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL

is flaged as containing  HostMail[Trj].

VPS version is 0305-5, 06/05/2003

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:NEED IMMEDIATE HELP !!! Adobe Acrobat Reader 6
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 09:27:46 AM »
Strange... I don't get any virus warning in the file, with the same VPS, scanning set to all / whole files.
(acroiehelper.dll version 6.0.0.878, 50376 bytes long).

drahnier

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 09:49:53 AM »
This is really wired.

When I told avast!4 to move the infected file to the virus chest, Windows Explorer reported an error and closed all windows (and asked me to send an error report, which I did), exept the avast!4 one.

When I then tried to open a new Exlporer window, my system suddenly shut itself off (no regular shutdown, no bluescreen crash, just a click from the hard drive and then complete power off).

After reboot If I found the infected file in the virus chest. I scanned this file from within the virus chest and the scan was negative.

On another system with virtually the same configuration/setup avast! 4 did not report any problems.

If I copy the file from the other machine to the machine where I got  the virus warning and then scan the copied machine, everything is negative: no warnings.

So everything appears to be  fine now, but what happened in the first place?

Gu3

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 06:46:24 PM »
drahnier,

Based on your two messages, I would say that you have some sort of corruption in your Windows Installation.   Especially since you were able to run Avast! with no hitch on another machine of similar configuration (and I presume OS).

It could be a whole host of problems, but I suspect that it might be either a Registry problem (ie something registered incorrectly), or a bad DLL somewhere.

Have you run a Registry Checker?  What about System File Checker?

Also, your crash seems a little odd.  If that happens again, I would be suspicious of a memory problem, however it could go hand in hand with a corrupt registry or DLL.  

Good Luck!
Scott