Author Topic: Avast! 4 Professional download  (Read 8274 times)

birder7346

Avast! 4 Professional download
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:21:31 PM »
I have recently purchased a 1 year subscription to Avast! 4 Professional to replace my Home edition. I follow the download instructions via www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-professional.html but it does not start and when I click to start it just brings up a pop up box. Should I uninstall the home edition first?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! 4 Professional download
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »
What do you mean by it doesn't start, it should start automatically on boot.

If you have the Home version you can input the License key that you should have been emailed into the same place you put the Home key. Provided you are on-line the upgrade will happen automatically, I would suggest you then reboot and see if the conversion to Pro has taken.

However, since you have tried (possibly unsuccessfully) to install the pro version, it may be best to do a clean reinstall if the above doesn't work.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest Pro version that you downloaded, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »
Where did you purchase avast? Do you already receive the registration key?
Try downloading here http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Professional-Edition/3000-2239_4-10181058.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button
The best things in life are free.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:21:55 AM »
Again, as DavidR has suggested:
Should I uninstall the home edition first?
If you get the Pro Edition Key, you put the key into avast, reboot, and it, "transforms" into the Pro version.  There shouldn't be many problems.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

velcrohead

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:17:45 PM »
I too have purchased the pro edition.
I think it is running pro as I have the script blocking, But, If I right click the sys tray icon, I still get the option to upgrade to pro.  Also, where the key is inserted, It still says home edition, Even though I can see my pro key there.
Is this correct?.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 08:31:05 PM »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

velcrohead

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:06:39 PM »
Insert License key into Avast.

http://avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm

That was actually the very first thing I did. (I aint stupid). ;D
As I said, I have the script protection showing in avast.  Which suggests I am running pro.
It just still says home edition on the about page, and also displays the 'Pro edition info' and 'upgrade to pro edition' on right click of the blue a bubble in sys tray.
This is even though I am supposedly running pro.
Is this normal or is something wrong with my install?.

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 06:24:59 AM »

Have you tried restarting your computer since inserting the Pro key?

velcrohead

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 07:26:21 AM »
As this seems to be getting more involved I will explain what I have done.
I purchased the key.
I was then directed to cnet to download a 300k file, I ran it, there was a small update to the program, My code arrived in the email, I copied and pasted it into the program. I  was told the key had been loaded ok.
It looked like I have already explained, So I went to the avast site and downloaded the full pro version and installed it, And it still says home edition on the about page, but, I do have the script scanner running that suggests I have pro running, its just the program itself does not say pro but home.
And yes, there have been several restarts since.
Cheers.