Author Topic: Submitted Virussamples (to ftp)  (Read 2709 times)

onlysomeone

Submitted Virussamples (to ftp)
« on: April 19, 2009, 01:57:24 AM »
Hi Alwil Team!

I uploaded a .zip-file to your ftp (fxp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/) as my mail program doesn't work as i want it to...
The name is "Virussamples_onlysomeone"

This zip-file contains not detected/removed Virus-Files.

I hope you've gotten it :)

yours
onlysomeone

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Submitted Virussamples (to ftp)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 02:10:27 AM »
Well that isn't a recognised method of submitting samples as a) it isn't monitored unless one of the Alwil team has specifically asked for something to be sent and b) they aren't expecting samples there so aren't geared up for ti the other methods are effectively going to the virus labs.

The easiest method is to add the zipped samples (no need to password protect them) and add the zip to the chest and send them from there, email is no longer used.

Add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already there) where it can do no harm and send it from there. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so you will need to take further action and can remove/rename that.

Send it from the User Files section of the chest (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software).

It will be uploaded (not actually emailed) to avast when the next avast auto (or manual) update is done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

onlysomeone

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:38:56 AM »
this method also didn't work for me...  :-\
every times i clicked the e-mail button (right click - email to Alwil Software) nothing happened...

so i only saw the ftp-option as last possibility - and thats why i post here - just that they notice that i uploaded something through there...
but i will investigate into that submission through the chest and why it didn't work this times (i already used it some times...)

but thanks for the infos! :)

EDIT:
weird... i again tried to send the zip-file via chest, but nothing happens when i want do send it...  :(
if i try to send an .exe-file it immediately opens the "send file" window, but nor with a .zip neither with a .rar file it works...  :-\

what could i have done wrong?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:46:24 AM by onlysomeone »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 03:03:33 AM »
Well normally there wouldn't be a zip file in the chest but a single for extracted from a zip, so a .rar file wouldn't go either.

There is as far as I'm aware some sort of preliminary auto analysis done on submissions, so I guess that can't happen with zip files. The new submission method isn't geared up for multiple submissions.

You can select multiple files in the user files section and right click selecting email to Alwil and that is fine but it pops-up individual submission forms for each file that is going to be uploaded on the next update (auto or manual).

Hopefully this submission process will be further enhanced to handle multiple submissions without having to complete individual forms for each one. There doesn't need to be much information actually entered and you could do a copy and paste basically stating you believe it to be an undetected malware sample.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

onlysomeone

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:32:31 AM »
is it recommended to write "additional information" into the submission form?
because I have 30 files to submit and its quiet much work to do this for every file...

What is nice, is that the e-mail-adress is kept and doesn't have to be rewritten every times you updload something :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 04:22:08 PM »
That is what I'm talking about, copying and pasting very basic info as it cuts down on the typing, if you choose to enter anything more it would be less.