Author Topic: For XP set your OS for the fastest boot!  (Read 5217 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
For XP set your OS for the fastest boot!
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:37:39 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Set OS for fastest boot

Disable devices and channels not in use:

Open the Device manager, Start > Run > type devmgmt.msc

Using Device manager disable any other devices not in use that you can't disable using the BIOS (not on-board etc.). With at least a decent BIOS most on-board devices like COM ports, firewire etc. can be disabled using the BIOS and when disabled they won't show up in device manager.

Using Device manager find IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller (other wording may be used, anyway it's the HD Controller) expand and double click the IDE channels > go to the Advanced settings tab and set Device Type: on None for all channels NOT in use,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: For XP set your OS for the fastest boot!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 04:25:09 AM »
-= I see the.. So those are the advantages.. please post the disadvantages too..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 04:44:49 AM »
I realize that the title is self explanatory but would this also apply to Vista as well Polonus? ???
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 05:18:16 AM »
Doesn't matter what O/S it is.  If you disable a device in the BIOS, it won't be seen by the O/S. No matter what it is.

As for the disadvantages, well, you won't be able to use firewire if you disable firewire in the BIOS....

If you need to use it, re-enable it.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 07:24:47 AM »
The main disadvantage is that this advice should probably be left alone by the average user who would, most likely, not understand the post let alone the options available in screens suggested.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:19:38 PM »
-= Sorry for my ignorance.. I'll try my best not ask the next time.. Thanks for the replies anyway..
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:24:01 PM by chronoboi001 »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 12:26:27 PM »
Blackvipers' site offers a fairly darned comprehensive tutorial for anyone who wants to go disabling services, BIOS or otherwise, along with plenty of caveats and cautions. I've selectively disabled a handful, definitely makes a difference. Also makes troubleshooting a hell of a lot trickier if you don't remember and understand exactly what you did, though.
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »
It's best to use native SATA interface. And that is AHCI. If you have an Intel ICHxR chipset, you can enable it by following my guide on www.rejzor.tk (just search for AHCI and you'll find it).

I'm also testing delayed write caching driver with extra 32MB write cache. It's designed for SSD drives but i don't seem to have any problems with it on regular HDD. Just have to check if i really benefit anything.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 05:23:18 PM »
The main disadvantage is that this advice should probably be left alone by the average user who would, most likely, not understand the post let alone the options available in screens suggested.

Couldn't agree more, some of this could potentially leave your system unable to boot if you set al your IDE channels to none, where you couldn't get in to change the settings back.

So as has been said changes made in the BIOS would trump those in the registry and not only that are reversible by interrupting the boot to change them back in the BIOS settings.

-= Sorry for my ignorance.. I'll try my best not ask the next time.. Thanks for the replies anyway..

Not asking what the disadvantages are would have been the stupid thing, there was nothing wrong with the question, smart in fact ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 11:39:36 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

I agree here, one learns by asking, and also by posting about these issues, and that is by means of the comment one gets, it is an ever evolving process and that is why I got where I am now with this.
Thanks to the avast forum to communicate all this info, so conclusion after reading this thread: "Do not touch this if you are not savvy to know what you are doing, and then again rethink!",

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

satyr

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »
Just as an FYI, for the explanations of various BIOS features (i.e. what they mean/do, what are the recommended values etc.) you can check out the very comprehensive/detailed Adrian RojakPot's The Definitive BIOS Optimization Guide.

Best regards, satyr