Author Topic: Unable to open Avast..help!  (Read 3367 times)

ABP21

Unable to open Avast..help!
« on: April 22, 2009, 03:59:55 AM »
I don't know what's up..but whenever I click on the avast icon it does the registry scan and then when it's done the program never opens up...nothing happens, nothing opens up, it's a blank screen..I don't know why this happens,..can anyone help me out..what should I do..do I need to uninstall it and then install it again..or is there a way to fix this..?

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: Unable to open Avast..help!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 04:08:50 AM »
I had a similar issue. It had to do with a visual aspect of Vista. Will double clicking on the avast icon again open it?

if that is the case then you can edit avast4.ini found at C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA

-Using Notepad scroll to the [Common] section,
-add the following line to the section SunbeltKPFHack=2, save the file.
-You will be prompted by the avast! self-defence module if this is OK. Answer Yes.

If this helps say so. If not please report back and mention if possible your system configuration (ie Operating system, security softwares past and present other than avast, processor speed, RAM etc)

Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

ABP21

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 04:35:05 AM »
I had a similar issue. It had to do with a visual aspect of Vista. Will double clicking on the avast icon again open it?

if that is the case then you can edit avast4.ini found at C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA

-Using Notepad scroll to the [Common] section,
-add the following line to the section SunbeltKPFHack=2, save the file.
-You will be prompted by the avast! self-defence module if this is OK. Answer Yes.

If this helps say so. If not please report back and mention if possible your system configuration (ie Operating system, security softwares past and present other than avast, processor speed, RAM etc)

Yup! it worked, thank you so much!:)

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:54:15 PM »
No prob.

Glad to be of help. :)
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.