Author Topic: HELP ...CAN'T UNINSTALL PREVIOUS AVAST  (Read 5532 times)

ihavequestions

HELP ...CAN'T UNINSTALL PREVIOUS AVAST
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
Hi there

When i purchased my laptop for home use, Avast 4.8 Professional (trial) was installed. Now I've downloaded Avast Home and am ready with the license key, but when i'm going to run the "setupeng", I am told to uninstall the current version. I'm doing it, but am getting message: "There was an error during product uninstallation."

Should I go to "Add or remove programs" and remove previous Avast?

Another thing... what will happen to the virus file I have in the Chest of previous Avast once i uninstall it?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: HELP ...CAN'T UNINSTALL PREVIOUS AVAST
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:20:09 PM »
Try going here: http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html and download the Avast Uninstall Utility.

I believe that items in the quarantine will be deleted, or it will ask you what to do with the items.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

onlysomeone

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:22:02 PM »
Hi ihavequestions!

We hopefully have answers  ;D

You basically don't have to uninstall avast! pro if you want to use the Home as follower...

simply add the license key from the Home-edition and Avast! will downgrade the Pro the the Home (an Internet-Connection is most probably needed)

should work... or? :)

yours
onlysomeone

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »
Oh yeah. Guess I should read the post a little bit better.

That should work fine!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

onlysomeone

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 09:12:42 PM »
oh, and by the way - the virus in the chest should be deleted with avast... (if you really uninstall it)

ihavequestions

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:33:49 PM »
yes...i think i have done it... now when i'm clicking on the avast icon on desktop, it reads :Avast! 4.8 Home.

I find the virus file in the Chest. Does it mean the the Virus file has been transferred from Pro edition to Home edition automatically?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 10:29:22 PM »
Nothing has been transferred, if you simply entered the Home registration key into the Pro Trial then it is converted to the Home version.

If you over installed or reinstalled then the only files in the chest would be back-ups of system files.

There are three sections to the Chest:
  • The only area you should be interested in is the Infected Files section, this is where the files detected by avast and selected by you to move to the chest are placed.
  • The User Files section is where the user can add files they suspect of being malware but not detected by avast.
  • The System Files section is where avast keeps back-up copies of important system files in case the original becomes infected (leave them alone).
  • The All Chest Files is a collation of the three sections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ihavequestions

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:50 AM »
Thanks a lot David. Now I get the clear picture.

Just one query.... in the System Files section, I have four system files. So does it mean that the originals of these system files have become infected? In that case, after i do a thorough scanning, the scan report or the SUI should tell me that four files are infected. But it is not doing so.

Or did you mean to say that in the System Files section, Avast keeps back-up copies of important system files in case the original becomes infected in future...?

Another thing i notice is that in my System Files section, there's one system file that doesn't bear the "---no virus---" sign, while the rest of the system files do.

Dev
India

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 08:23:34 AM »

Or did you mean to say that in the System Files section, Avast keeps back-up copies of important system files in case the original becomes infected in future...?

The above is correct.   :)

Another thing i notice is that in my System Files section, there's one system file that doesn't bear the "---no virus---" sign, while the rest of the system files do.

Can you list the 4 files for us?

ihavequestions

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 09:00:36 AM »
its OK ... I just scanned the file...now I'm seeing the 'no virus' sign. Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 03:26:15 PM »
There are normally three file names in the System Files section, but there may be duplicates of one or more of these files. This can happen if say after a windows update the file is updated then avast would make another back-up copy.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security