Author Topic: Windows VISTA Problem  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Windows VISTA Problem
« on: April 23, 2009, 04:06:22 AM »
One of my AOL friends is having a problem.  I'll just copy & paste her Post from over there:

{{It's almost impossible to diagnose a problem on a computer remotely.  I am throwing this into cyberspace one last time. Then they are on their own.

I used my daughter's computer when I was gone last week. It has Vista. My SIL has the admin. account my daughter and Gdaughter have sub accounts.

Now because of something I allegedly did. No account except the admin account will connect to the net.

He seems to think I somehow changed the settings, which I didn't. He thinks maybe perhaps AOL screwed it up. They use Yahoo.

He is actually being quite the PITA about this. He says he has tried going back and restarting. He said he took both their accounts off and reloaded them.

I just thought I'd try one more time before I was my hands of the whole thing.
A family rift over computer access. @@
Any excuse I guess.}}

And there y'all have it.  Any suggestions.

Would using that System Restore function ... setting the computer BACK to a couple of days before the problem likely work?  Does VISTA even HAVE that System Restore?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Windows VISTA Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 04:32:28 AM »
Yes, Vista has "System Restore".

As for the rest... more questions than answers.
E.g. Vista is very good at protecting itself from 'careless' users. So assuming he was using his daughter's login without admin privileges, how could he have "changed the settings"?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Windows VISTA Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »
Yes, Vista has "System Restore".

As for the rest... more questions than answers.
E.g. Vista is very good at protecting itself from 'careless' users. So assuming he was using his daughter's login without admin privileges, how could he have "changed the settings"?

Thanks, Vladimyr!  I kinda figured it'd probably be a bit too little Info, but all I could do was copy & paste what she posted.  If they haven't done so already, I'm going to steer them towards trying the System Restore.  I already mentioned it to them last night.  But, I'll stress it more.

I also told my friend that it was quite possible that just as her Son-in-Law is alleging / accusing, it quite possibly WAS AOL taking over the system too much and changing something.  You see ... as I understand it, that malfunctioning computer doesn't normally have AOL.  My friend just went to visit her daughter and I guess took the liberty of temporarily installing AOL.  And now they have computer problems ... as well as FAMILY problems because of that.  :o
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000