Author Topic: Nortin, AVG. and avast.  (Read 16601 times)

sham1313

Nortin, AVG. and avast.
« on: April 23, 2009, 11:12:25 PM »
     when I 1st started working with this new HP computer it came with a nortin and I will not ever try Nortin again. it is a real pain for me and when I have called for help in the past most of the teg and other worker would start yelling at me if I made a mistake and click on some thing to soon for them. they would not say getting ready to click but would say some thing like click here, but before you do that you need to do this 1st.  when they say click here I would and then I say OK I have done that now what. they snap and say you were not to click there yet. now were going to have to do more to correct another one of your mistakes.
     what I did 1st was unstall it. I had paid over 70.00 for an AVG. it is a good virus product. but HP wants you to use Norton and they don't help people with Avg trouble. the only way I could a hold o AVG was threw the mail. it would take for ever to get and answer and I would not either understood what they said for me to do or I would understand and would do it. when I would do it most times it would not help me. I could not get a phone no. I don't thing I ever had it completely install right. at the end when I unstalled it there were no components when you open the interface. it was just a empty why spot in the over view. at the bottom of the pages some times it would say protection mode off some times it would have the word mixed in it saying about some on and some off then at the very end now that I have avast it say's protection mode on.for every page. the computer is windows vista and I do not like windows vista either. I do like avast. my computer is still running thanks to Avast!!!!!!
    windows live said to use the removal tool for both nortin and avg because I was having a lot of problems. for awhile till I got avast install all I had was superantispyware or spybuster. windows live said the very thing I needed to do was do a scan with the avast and either use the malware or the spyblaster. sense I was not sure what I could do with with the free version of avast. I ran spyware after every time I scan and when that one would say no infections I knew I was finely free of infection.

NOW THE QUESTION!! EVEN THO I USE THE REMOVAL AVG AND NORTEN I AM NOT SURE THEY ARE ALL GONE. ONCE I WROTE WINDOWS LIVES I ONLY THOUGHT I HAD ONE PART OF AVG LEFT AND IT WAS A LITTLE ICON LIKE AVG BUT WAS A DIFFERENT COLOR. WHERE THE AVG SQUARE IS RED YELLOW ANDI I AM NOT SURE OF THE OTHER TWO. THE ONE I FOUND HAD ALITTLE BLACK SQUARE AND 3 OTHER LITTLE DARK SQUARE. I DON'T HAVE THE THE MIX UP NAME IT HAD. WINDOWS LIVE WROTE QUICK BACK SAID DELETED IT AND RUN A SCAN AS SOON AS I COULD. I THOUGHT OK AND DOWNLOADED A ANTIVIRUS PRO THAT I PAID 49.95. THAT ONE EVEN MADE IT WORSE WINDOWS LIVE SAID I MADE ANOTHER MISTAKE TO UNSTALL QUICKLY AND DOWNLOAD AVAST FREE ONE SCANNER. SO I DID. THE BAD THING WAS AT THE TIME I ONLY HAD NETZERO DIALUP. I WAS ABOUT TO GO CRAZY AND I DID NOT THING  WAS NOT GOING TO GET A VIRUS PROTECTOR THAT WAS GOOD BEFORE IT WAS TO LATE. I  WAS LUCKY!!! I USED AVAST AS SOON I  AS COULD. AFTER THAT WAS OVER AND THE COMPUTER WAS VIRUS FREE WITCH I HOPE IT IS. I STILL FINE CERTAIN THINGS I THING MAYBE AVG OR NORTON RELATED. HOW CAN I BE SURE IT IS ALL GONE? IF THERE WERE ANY PART LEFT OVER FROM AVG OR NORTIN COULD THAT BE TROUBLE?
Thanks Sharon I hope that makes sense!!! 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Nortin, AVG. and avast.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:25:48 PM »
If you didn't run these tools to make sure all remnants were gone I would say they should ensure that they are gone.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 12:40:47 AM »
Download the tools DavidR linked to, save them to your desktop.
Select the Norton Removal tool, right click it, select "run as" and then "adminstrator". (Or admin account, or similar. I don't know how it works in Vista.  :-[ )
Do the same for the AVG remover.
That will eliminate all traces of them, hopefully. That little grey and white AVG icon should be gone. A restart might be required.

You need to be careful what program to trust. Spybuster  (and Antivirus pro) are what is called rogue anti-malware programs. These promise much, are difficult to remove, do nothing useful, and charge you money for basically nothing.
Ask here if you want a good program.
Avast is good. MalwareBytesAntiMalware is good. SpywareBlster is good. Many others are good.

HP (and lots of other) computers ship with all sorts of rubbish on them that the average user doesn't need.
What do you mainly want to use your computer for?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:57:25 AM »
WHERE THE AVG SQUARE IS RED YELLOW ANDI I AM NOT SURE OF THE OTHER TWO. THE ONE I FOUND HAD ALITTLE BLACK SQUARE AND 3 OTHER LITTLE DARK SQUARE.

From working with AVG for a long time before transitioning to Avast, the "colors" as you say, mean that AVG is up-to-date and working normally.  If it is not, "colored" (ie, black and white, or shades of gray if you prefer), it means something is not loaded properly, or not running as it should be.

I know this makes no difference now (since you're using avast now), but just a little info as to what it meant.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 05:15:21 AM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

sham1313

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:55:25 AM »
    before I downloaded the avast I used both tools the Norton 1st and then avg. but I type avg in the search area on the start buttom when I told windows lives about fining the one peace of avg that I had left on the computer and found  the the little square that look like the avg square, but it had different colors on each square. the main color was black. I cannot recall what the name of it was. but I did tell windows live the name and I got a  answer very quick window lives said, it was  a Trojan they said run each tool again. then run the avast both removal again. the avg 1st then the nortin. then run one of the malware or superanti spyware  after I did that and finely got rid of the the bad virus. then in a old  back up file I found what look like a full version of avg. I open the interface and it just look like it needed a long update. there were compointent that said out of date. there was nothing in the control panel that said avg to try to unstall  so I deleted that and run both of them again. if you thing I need to again I will. windows live said the antivirus pro was just what you said it was.they said I need to ask for a refund and I did and they are suppose to refund me $49.95 soon.
      mostly my husband look at ebay auction and I do some. he uses IE7 and I am trying this new one called opera. I play a few puzzle and card games. we do certain searches on google. between the 2 of us my husbands and I have a  lot of different collections like knifes, watches of a certain kinds and things that have to do with American bulldogs or parrots, or certain kind of dolls. we have 2 each to American bulldogs and 2 parrots. I guess I should have just said we surf the internet mainly. I will come here again very early in the morning. to check my new answers. thanks for your time and reply. I hope you can understand my post. :) I may have said I use both tools one time to many. windows live said I should have only use them once after each time I fine any part of avg or Norton. I have found at one time a couple icon that said nortin both of them did. I think a lot of any of the trouble I have had with this HP windows vista. it is not a year yet. thanks again sham1313
 Sharon sham1313
I hate vista it a pain just by itself. thanks again

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 12:52:48 AM »
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that refund, sham1313. Not unless you know some very heavy people on the other side of the world.
Repeat running of the removal tools should do no harm; it just won't do any good.
If you still have remnants of Norton or AVG on your computer now, please let us know.

sham1313

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 08:24:23 AM »
     I will try to reply to all that wrote and will try to make it where you understand me. I thank every  one and will check out any URL that was sent to me. in the morning. here it is again about where  I am at. windows live help me to fine the avg and Norton removal tool I have them both and have use them both 3 or more times. after I  use them both at least once and I found was suppose to be part of the avg that the tools did not unstall all the way. I cannot recall the name of it.  it did start off with the letter d and other letters. it was not part of  the  avg. when I sent the name to windows I found out it was a virus that was made out to look like it belong to avg. when the square is 4 different  colors like the avg square. how ever it was NOT! one of the color was black on it. I was told to delete it and run both tools again I did that and I was doing a lot of file checking to
see if I spotted any thing that I new was not right. while doing this I found another avg interface  in a back up file of my flash voyager  witch is suppose to be like a back up but it is to small to hold every thing.  it had all there component  that needed updated. it  was not in the control panel to unstall that was gone already. I told windows live again and they were surprised to fine out I had found more avg stuff. they said deleted it and run the tools again. witch I did but I forgot to tell you.  I also found a icon that was part of Norton because  Norton was name  of it. the icon look like a big O that had ridges all around it. every time I found some thing that was avg or norton I would delete them and run the tools again. that is why I am not sure if any is still on my computer or not. I think most of that problem has to do with it being a windows vista. I have had a lot of trouble with this  computer ever sense mike brought it home. I am not sure where I am at right now. that is pretty close to where I am with that problem. I do have what is called a perfect unstaller. how ever I am not sure it will do any think other then scanning the computer for trouble, because it is the free version. I well check back here in the morning to see if you think I should use the removal tools or not again.  should I try this perfect unstaller or what?
    I know in one of the post it mention another cleaner. I will check back here in the morning.
thanks to you all for your replies and help. Sharon sham1313

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 01:37:10 PM »
Hi, I'll be back with this thread in a few hours. Pretty wiped out, right now.
Flash voyager is just a standard USB or flash drive?
Windows Live...never really used it, is it a sort of help forum, or more a list of FAQ's?

sham1313

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 04:53:03 PM »
some times I feel like I am just a big dope. I just realized how I can answer each most instead of going all the way down to the bottom and trying to answering them all at once. I was looking for a reply to click to answer each one and you do not do it that way.  I realize I need to click quote. I have used them both at least 3 or 4 times I am not just clicking on start and writing norton or avg and seeing if there is any to see there I go in different part of the computer and opening files to see if I might fine any more trace of then that is how I found the one avg interface that need a bunch of updating. thanks I will do better now answering each post that reply to me. Sharon sham1313

If you didn't run these tools to make sure all remnants were gone I would say they should ensure that they are gone.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

sham1313

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 04:56:22 PM »

I am not sure if I do or not I will search in certain spots and see if i fine any then i will get back to you.
thanks Sharon sham1313[

quote author=Tarq57 link=topic=44525.msg373149#msg373149 date=1240613568]
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that refund, sham1313. Not unless you know some very heavy people on the other side of the world.
Repeat running of the removal tools should do no harm; it just won't do any good.
If you still have remnants of Norton or AVG on your computer now, please let us know.
[/quote]

sham1313

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 07:32:17 PM »

I am not sure witch post I have answer and what I have not because I was not sure how to answer each reply and I do now.  I still have these two programs. I know I have reply to you or another that I have use these tools a few times maybe 4 or more now. any time I have found a trace of either one of them I use both tools.  when the I got this computer it had norton in it. I always have had trouble with norton and most of there teg and other working I have talked to in the past are very rude.  witch of course that upset me and I don't get the help I need. I gave up on them a long time ago. I unstalled it 1st off but did not know I was to use the removal tool on it .
       I had paid or $70.00 for a avg scanner. I had always used there free one and never had any trouble out of it. when I 1st put it in I had a lot of trouble  it not establishing contact with bluelight witch was my isp at that time and other different addy. I know not much about that at all. I know I never had it installed right from the get go. and avg would take 2 weeks or more to reply to my email. HP would not help me because avg was a third party type thing. I went from bluelight to netzero dial up and that was even worse.  most of the time I would not get the answer I needed. if I did they it would they would make it way to hard to understand. I could not get a phone no to call. you would think if you paid over $70.00 for there product they would give you a phone no.
     ONE MORE THING . MY CREDIT CARD CALLED ME LAST NIGHT AND IS FOR SPANISND SAID THEY WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF GETTING A REFUND {THANK THE LORD)WE FOUND OUT ARE OLD AMERICAN BULLDOG HAS Cushing’s Disease. I HAD TO COPY PASTE THE BOOK NAMES BECAUSE I COULD NOT SPELL IT. HE ABOUT MAXED OUT MY CREDIT CARD, BUT I AM HOPING I CAN AFFORD TO GET THE PAID VERSION OF AVAST.
     some pages at the bottom of the page would say protection mode on, some would say off and at one time it had some thing like mixed protection at the bottom right hand conner of the page there is another point I wanted to tell you but my mine is blank.  I have not had much time to use the computer the way I like to because windows vista would be giving me trouble almost all the time. HERE IS ANOTHER MAYBE YOU CAN ANSWER. MY HUSBAND BOUGHT THIS COMPUTER AT WALMART AND THE MODEL NUMBER ON THE BOTTOM OF THIS COMPUTER ENDS IN A N AND NOT A  M. WALMART SOLD MY HUSBAND A COMPUTER WITCH SHOULD BE IN THE HANDS OF A SPANISH SPEAKING PERSON. THE LETTER M IS FOR ENGLISH SPEAKING VERSION . I FOUND THAT OUT FROM WINDOWS LIVE.WHEN THEY TOLD ME THAT. BEFORE I FOUND THAT OUT AND PROVE TO THAT TO  HP THE WOULD NOT EVEN HELP ME. BECAUSE THEY KEPT TELLING THAT THEY COULD NOT FINE IT. OR IT WAS OUT OF WARRTY. I HAD TO PROVE THEM I BOUGHT IT AT WALMART. AFTER I DID THAT THEY STARTED TO HELP ME. I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. COULD THAT BE A LOT OF THE TROUBLE I AM HAVING NOW. when I unstalled AVG it was because it lost all it componets. I did not use the removal tool on that either because I did know I was suppose to. I should let you know when I said it had no component.  there was a blank spot when you click on over view and nothing was there but a white empty  spot. then before I got avast on my computer. I used both tools the avg and the Norton, and tried as fast as I could to get avast installed. that did not happen quickly because at that time I only had netzero dialup witch was nothing but trouble ever sense they became my ISP. I have ATT. now {thank God} I was having trouble with windows vista. I was having trouble with I don't know how many virus's I had. I was scared this almost new Hp windows vista was about to be nothing but a pile of crap (smile)  ;D 
    also I did not know if because this is a Spanish speaking person computer.I did not know if that made a difference or not. I  have been trying to write this email for a long time. I hope you all can under this.  {please help me!!!!!} avast did a good job with the free version to help my computer get well. I am almost sure I don't have any trace of a virus but not sure at all if I have any trace of  avg or the norton. I guess you can see how much I am confused. THANKS FOR HELPING.   I HOPE EVERY ONE THAT HELP ME  WILL  READS AND UNDERSTANDS THIS. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A BIG THANKS  TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!! Sharon sham1313 I am not sure about clicking to preview and making sure the best one I have use the spelling check on. I hope it sends this one and not one of the top that I have tried to correct mistake I have made.

sham1313

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »
just to make sure you get this I am going to send it here too I did send it in a different spot a few mins ago. forgive me if this is a repete.

I am not sure witch post I have answer and what I have not because I was not sure how to answer each reply and I do now.  I still have these two programs. I know I have reply to you or another that I have use these tools a few times maybe 4 or more now. any time I have found a trace of either one of them I use both tools.  when the I got this computer it had norton in it. I always have had trouble with norton and most of there teg and other working I have talked to in the past are very rude.  witch of course that upset me and I don't get the help I need. I gave up on them a long time ago. I unstalled it 1st off but did not know I was to use the removal tool on it .
       I had paid or $70.00 for a avg scanner. I had always used there free one and never had any trouble out of it. when I 1st put it in I had a lot of trouble  it not establishing contact with bluelight witch was my isp at that time and other different addy. I know not much about that at all. I know I never had it installed right from the get go. and avg would take 2 weeks or more to reply to my email. HP would not help me because avg was a third party type thing. I went from bluelight to netzero dial up and that was even worse.  most of the time I would not get the answer I needed. if I did they it would they would make it way to hard to understand. I could not get a phone no to call. you would think if you paid over $70.00 for there product they would give you a phone no.
     ONE MORE THING . MY CREDIT CARD CALLED ME LAST NIGHT AND IS FOR SPANISND SAID THEY WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF GETTING A REFUND {THANK THE LORD)WE FOUND OUT ARE OLD AMERICAN BULLDOG HAS Cushing’s Disease. I HAD TO COPY PASTE THE BOOK NAMES BECAUSE I COULD NOT SPELL IT. HE ABOUT MAXED OUT MY CREDIT CARD, BUT I AM HOPING I CAN AFFORD TO GET THE PAID VERSION OF AVAST.
     some pages at the bottom of the page would say protection mode on, some would say off and at one time it had some thing like mixed protection at the bottom right hand conner of the page there is another point I wanted to tell you but my mine is blank.  I have not had much time to use the computer the way I like to because windows vista would be giving me trouble almost all the time. HERE IS ANOTHER MAYBE YOU CAN ANSWER. MY HUSBAND BOUGHT THIS COMPUTER AT WALMART AND THE MODEL NUMBER ON THE BOTTOM OF THIS COMPUTER ENDS IN A N AND NOT A  M. WALMART SOLD MY HUSBAND A COMPUTER WITCH SHOULD BE IN THE HANDS OF A SPANISH SPEAKING PERSON. THE LETTER M IS FOR ENGLISH SPEAKING VERSION . I FOUND THAT OUT FROM WINDOWS LIVE.WHEN THEY TOLD ME THAT. BEFORE I FOUND THAT OUT AND PROVE TO THAT TO  HP THE WOULD NOT EVEN HELP ME. BECAUSE THEY KEPT TELLING THAT THEY COULD NOT FINE IT. OR IT WAS OUT OF WARRTY. I HAD TO PROVE THEM I BOUGHT IT AT WALMART. AFTER I DID THAT THEY STARTED TO HELP ME. I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. COULD THAT BE A LOT OF THE TROUBLE I AM HAVING NOW. when I unstalled AVG it was because it lost all it componets. I did not use the removal tool on that either because I did know I was suppose to. I should let you know when I said it had no component.  there was a blank spot when you click on over view and nothing was there but a white empty  spot. then before I got avast on my computer. I used both tools the avg and the Norton, and tried as fast as I could to get avast installed. that did not happen quickly because at that time I only had netzero dialup witch was nothing but trouble ever sense they became my ISP. I have ATT. now {thank God} I was having trouble with windows vista. I was having trouble with I don't know how many virus's I had. I was scared this almost new Hp windows vista was about to be nothing but a pile of crap (smile)  ;D 
    also I did not know if because this is a Spanish speaking person computer.I did not know if that made a difference or not. I  have been trying to write this email for a long time. I hope you all can understand this.  {please help me!!!!!} avast did a good job with the free version to help my computer get well. I am almost sure I don't have any trace of a virus but not sure at all if I have any trace of  avg or the norton. I guess you can see how much I am confused. THANKS FOR HELPING.   I HOPE EVERY ONE THAT HELP ME  WILL  READS AND UNDERSTANDS THIS. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A BIG THANKS  TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!! Sharon sham1313

Hi, I'll be back with this thread in a few hours. Pretty wiped out, right now.
Flash voyager is just a standard USB or flash drive?
Windows Live...never really used it, is it a sort of help forum, or more a list of FAQ's?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 11:59:56 PM »
Hi Sharon,
Don't worry that you can't express yourself, what you are writing sort of tells the story. (It's a bit of a book, but that's OK.)
You certainly are not alone in having purchased a "rip-off" security program, nor alone in having the sort of problems you report. So don't feel bad on that account.

The thing is that it makes it difficult to help if you are also asking this "windows live" about things, doing what is recommended there, and then asking similar questions here. I'm not being parochial, or possessive - far from it - but if you have a "helper" at windows live I can't read what they've suggested. I don't even know if they've given you the correct removal tools. Can't see the links. So it may be best to get ehlp from just one place for this problem. If the "windows live" thing is a forum (like this one) perhaps you could post the link to the discussion you have had there?

So, just a couple of questions, if that's OK.
-1) Do you have the Windows Vista installation CD, did that come with the computer, or was Vista pre-installed?
-2) Are the Norton and AVG removal tools you used the same ones that DavidR linked in his post?

In your situation I would say that, at least for now, the free version of Avast will be fine. It has the same level of protection as the pro version.
We need to find out why Norton and AVG still keep appearing.
Unfortunately I'm not a Vista user. But there are good tutorials on the net.
Do you sign in to this computer - to get the computer going, not access the internet - on one user account, or do you have several user accounts (example, on for you, another one for your husband etc) and do you know what type of user account it is? The default (normal) one would be "standard".

No need to post twice. After posting you will see the forum page you have just posted to refresh, and your post will appear at the bottom. If this takes a while, that is probably a slow internet connection - another issue.

sham1313

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 05:27:47 AM »
         I am sorry for it being kind of a book (there is a lot more to that story) {smile} I will try to make things a lot simpler from now on. here is just a bit about windows live. it is a free forum like this, but it is about all different kind of computer trouble. they were the one's that give me this site so you could help me. the only ones that was trying to help me with the avast scanner there did not use it. they said they could not tell me like what is the log viewer for from the main menu sense I see no log being kept there. more then likely it would be if I had the paid version avast.
        when I ask them any kind of question they mostly tell me where to go to get the information on a google search. then if I write them and ask them about a question I needed answer to about what  I had red. then some say  I  should of found the information they needed and sent it  in the 1st post.
   then they could have the answer to my question more quickly. some of them help me a lot and some won't because I cannot always send the information at the same time I ask the question. one of them there said I should have spyblaster to help fine the spyware that some how gets on your computer. when you are downloading some things. some one here said it was a rouge.{ sorry cannot spell it.}

I do have spywareblaster should I let the one person know that said I should download spyblaster. just by telling  her it was a rouge, and see what she says. am I to keep spyblaster or should I get rid of it. I think for the avast question I should ask here because they keep telling me they cannot help me much with it. some times I get told two different things there and just want to try to figure out who is right just like about the spyblaster one there says I need it one here say's it a rouge, but they say the spyblister is OK.

at windows live some times I get to different things told to me and then I get confused. they are good at telling what to put into a GOOGLE search to fine the answer. there is one man there in the virus section that if it was not for his help I would not have a computer but he does not use and can't tell me about some of the questions I ask.

I am not sure how many different places I go back and forth too so I can get help on this computer. NOW I WILL TRY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION!! i HAVE A COUPLE OF PEOPLE TELL ME TO DO MY QUESTION IN CAPT SO THEY CAN SPOT THAT QUICK. I DO NOT HAVE THE WINDOWS VISTA DISK IT CAME WITH WINDOWS AND I SURE WISHED IT WOULD BE WINDOWS 2000 OR xp. YES NORTIN AND AVG REMOVAL CAME FROM THE SAME PLACE. I HOPE WE CAN FIGURE THAT OUT TO ABOUT AVG AND NORTIN BE HERE AND THERE ON THIS COMPUTER. I DON'T SEEM TO GET THE COMPUTER GOING RIGHT AT ONE TIME TO DO A GOOD BACKUP. I HAVE HAD TO DO A WINDOW RESTORE I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES AS WILL AS 2 RECOVERORY MANAGER. I CAN DO THAT ON MY OWN NOW. I HOPE IT IS NOT NESSARY TO DO ONE OF THEM AGAIN, BUT IF I DID THE RESTORE IN WOULD JUST HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS OR MORE OF THEM. I WAS TOLD FROM WINDOWS LIVE THAT THIS WAS A GOOD SITE AND WOULD GET ALL THE HELP I NEED ON MY AVAST SCANNER. I HAD 3 MODERATER TELL ME THAT. HP WAS THE ONE THAT SAID IT WAS THE ONLY WAY THEY COULD HELP ME GET ME TO RE INSTALL THE AVG. WON'T SAY ANY THING ABOUT THAT IT WOULD BE ANOTHER  BOOK:) {IT DID NOT WORK}
      MY SISTER  I CALL HER OFFTEN AND SOME TIMES I ASK HER ABOUT WINDOWS VISTA AND SHE  ASK HERE TEG'S AT WORK. HER TEGS AT WORK WILL NOT PUT WINDOWS  VISTA IN THE COMPUTER THERE. THEY SAY THEY ARE ARE STAY WITH XP TILL THE NEXT ONE COMES UP, OR KEEP XP TILL A BETTER ONE COME ALONG. I HERE THAT MOSTLY THE NEWIBES SEE TO THINK TO LIKE WINDOWS VISTA.
       YOU ASK ME IF I HAVE TO SIGN IN TO THIS COMPUTER. WHEN I FINALLY GOT INTO DOING THE SETUP ON THIS COMPUTER AND IT GAVE ME ONLY TO WAYS TO GET INTO WINDOWS VISTA. ONE WAS FINGER PRINT AND I THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE HARDER TO DO FOR ME. I SIT IT UP WITH SIMPLE PASSWORD SO MY HUSBAND COULD REMEBER. I WILL ASK ALL MY AVAST QUESTION HERE IF YOU DON'T MINE. IF I UNDERSTAND RIGHT THIS FOURM IS FOR QUESTION ONLY ON AVAST? 
       HOW WINDOW LIVE HELPS ME MOST OF THE TIME BY GIVING ME A GOOGLE SEARCH TO FINE IT MYSELF. THEN WHEN I NEED TO ASK THEM SOME QUESTIONS ON WHAT I HAVE RED, AND THEN A LOT WILL JUST SEND ME TO A DIFFERENT FORUM ON THAT SUBGEST  TO HELP ME WITH THAT QUESTION.
YOU ASK HOW I GOT ON LINE AND THIS IS HOW. THE COMPUTER CAME WITH FREE JUNO AND NETZEO THAT IS HOW I GOT ON LINE. I AM TRYING NOT TO MAKE THIS SO LONG. I'M JUST NOT SURE HOW TO GIVE AND TO FINE ALL THE INFORMATION I NEED. WHITEHACKLE IS MY HUSBAND  USER HANDEL. BUT MINE  IS THE ONLY WAY WE GET ON LINE.
I do think that I have answered your questiosn. I just have one question for you now. do you have a place to sign up for when you get and answer to your post with a notice to go to your e-mail. thanks again for all the help from all of you!!!!
thanks Sharon sham1313        I HAVE ATT NOW :)    sorry one more question (smile)

I just thought of some thing and do not know if it has any thing to do with virus some time back I was downloading also uploading and up dating a lot of things one day. on my desk top 3 icon I did not put there was there. 2 of them look )like big 0 with ridges all around them and both were named the same thing (desktop yes both of them were name desktop but had a little different wording when I click on them to try to figure out what they were. windows live did not know. the other icon look like a peace of paper. when I click on it and it  had to do with some kind java scrip error. do you thing that has any thing to do with nortin, avg or  a virus?
 and do you thing the difference in this computer model no.  by the last letter in my model number being and N and not a M. n is for spanish speeking and m is  for english. I am a english person

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 05:59:45 AM »
Is the windows live help you mention the same as the Cnet forum? (yes or no.) (if no, please provide a url to any of your posts there.)

Spyblaster is a rogue. SpywareBlaster (by Javacool) is not a rogue, in fact, it's good. (see the difference? You can get in trouble by installing something with a name that is similar to the real program you wanted.)

It is recommended to install SpywareBlaster, and then manually check for updates every week or so. After downloading updates, click on "enable all protection". That will take a few seconds, then the program can be closed.

It isn't a scanner. It will block known bad websites.

You were told wrong about capital letters. Mostly it's actually considered shouting, and rude. To highlight a question, that can be done by the way you break the post up into sections, and/or the use of bolding.

Vista was a bit unpopular when first introduced. I prefer XP. But I have worked (a very little bit) on Vista computers. They are OK. I think quite possibly the problem is that you have never learned how the operating system works correctly. That's the impression I get.

Can you please advise what sort of user account you use? And if you don't know how to find that out, let me know.

To be notified of replies to your posts, go to the Avast forum, select "profile" (near the top right) and select "notifications and Email". Tick the top two (or three, if you prefer)  boxes.

Your last question about the desktop appearance I have no idea. The javascript error one sounds like a text report of some kind; why it is appearing in your desktop I don't know.
The circular one with the ridges, once again no idea.
If you right click on this file and select "properties" what does it say under the "general" tab, and how many tabs are there at the top of the properties window?

Regarding the serial number, no idea, sorry. You'll have to ask the vendor about that. But if the computer displays information to you in English, that should be a clue. If you click "start" then "help and support" you will get to the computers own help file. Have you ever looked in that?

To tell the truth, I'm thinking at this point that it might be best for you to save all the files, pictures and other information you want off this computer, and carry out a reinstall from the recovery console. And I'm thinking that if you have a computer-savvy friend, get them to help you do that, and get them to help you set it up afterward. There is a bit too much going on here to help you without access to the thing.