Author Topic: Nortin, AVG. and avast.  (Read 16599 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Nortin, AVG. and avast.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 06:03:22 AM »
One more thing, Sharon, on this forum, and any others you are a member of, it is a good idea to not have your email address displayed publicly.
It is inviting spammers. I suggest you go to your profile settings and set it to be hidden.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

sham1313

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 08:39:54 AM »
just a short note to let you know I will reread your post and getting started on my reply after I do what I need to on the computer. one quick. I don't get out much and what friends I got I talk to them on the phone I never get to  to see any of them. My husband does his work and comes home and he mostly only knows tenets and he had to keep a disant between than so to speak, because he the landlord and repair man. good night till tomorrow. Sharon sham1313

sham1313

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 08:03:23 PM »

I have been trying to get started on what I need to do next here, but our animals seem to be pertty needed this morning.  :) any way I cannot fine the pages I got spyblaster from so I am not sure witch one I have. yes I do know what you mean about the names being close to the same.
I know it is not a scanner. I have it sent up to update itself, but I will change it right now.

windows live is Cnet and it does have all kind of free help there if you know how to use it. they have sent be all kinds of different sites  to help me.
            About my capt. letters. a long time ago I did not send capt letter  because I new it meant shouting, maybe it is just certain ones that want me to do capt, because I some times forget and put a period at the end of a question instead of a ?. I will not use them here any more. I like typing in bold letters it help me to see it right. I like things to kind of stand out. it is eaiser to see.   it is true that I am not sure of  how to use a lot of things of windows vista or any windows setup, but I have herd of alot of complaints about it. a lot at Cnet. and other places. even some moderators.

I am not sure where this sentence should be because the e-mail is almost ready and I just remember some thing els I should write. This computer is the only one we have beside the 2 older computer that don't work any more.

there is more of my post toward the bottom of the e-mai

I am not sure what you mean when you say user account. I can tell you that when I do thing a lot on the computer it will pop up to where I have to need to click some thing to continue. or I need to give my permission for it too. I do have all mine and my husband passwords wrote down for the computer.{smile}.  ;D
       it took me a few sec when I was looking at the right hand conner of the top of the screen for Notifications and Email when I could not see it there I look at the page better and found it on the left side (smile) it is change now. thanks for helping me.
       here is what is under the 2 desktop icons
desktop 1

[LocalizedFileNames]
Windows Media Player.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\unregmp2.exe,-4

---------------------------------------
second desktop
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183
[LocalizedFileNames]
Backup and Restore Center.lnk=@%systemroot%\system32\brcpl.dll,-1
Windows Photo Gallery.lnk=@%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Gallery\PhotoLibraryResources.dll,-1581
Windows Update.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\wucltux.dll,-1
Wordpad.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-22069
Notepad.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-22051
Windows Media Player.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\unregmp2.exe,-4
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will just put a little  bit of the java error. that name is. hr_err_pid2... I do not know what to copy paste a bit from the the top middle and end or just a part of the top. I think I will do some from the top. I would have had this e-mail finish lot sooner but I have had to get messags to my husband about some plumping problems. I should be able to finish this now. if you want more of the java scrip sent just ask. I think I sent to much of it when I ask windows live
------------------------------------------------
#
# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d886078, pid=2964, tid=4184
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.6.0_02-b06 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# V  [jvm.dll+0xc6078]
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

---------------  T H R E A D  ---------------

Current thread (0x46cd1c00):  JavaThread "Thread-3" [_thread_in_vm, id=4184]

siginfo: ExceptionCode=0xc0000005, reading address 0x00000000

Registers:
EAX=0x00000000, EBX=0x00000000, ECX=0x00000006, EDX=0x00000004
ESP=0x4785f350, EBP=0x4785f398, ESI=0x46cd1cec, EDI=0x46cd1c00
EIP=0x6d886078, EFLAGS=0x00010246

Top of Stack: (sp=0x4785f350)
            thanks!!! Sharon sham1313

sham1313

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 08:58:55 PM »
I am not sure but it took me a long time to write you this morning I thought I had sent it but it should be at the end of your post here and I don't see it. if it did not get posted. if I half to do it over it will take a very long time. :'(
Sharon sham1313

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
The thing about the weird files on the desktop has already been addressed here, though it might not have been the answer you wanted. http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6138_102-0.html?threadID=339374
There is another forum post about a similar issue here which might be pertinent (Check your sticky keys.) http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/120249-keyboard-shortcuts-please-help.html
It is also possible you have saved a movie, or something that came off the DVD player, to your desktop.

Did you actually find the "properties" window for that file, and how many tabs are at the top?

The "SpywareBlaster" icon should look like the one in the attached picture. It will only auto update if you have purchased it, which is fine, if you have the free version you have to manually update it.

To find out what sort of user account you have, click on "start>control panel>user accounts" and the number and type of accounts should be listed. I would guess there are two, possibly three . Two "standard" accounts with your names, and maybe one default or system admin account, which you won't be able to access.

When "doing stuff" (running programs etc) with Vista, the popups you see are normal, for a user with a standard account. There is a way of disabling it, which I don't recommend, when it happens, you just have to "OK" your way through them.

Try this:
-Delete the removal tools you already have for Norton and AVG.
-Download the latest versions from http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=1a13409b-29db-4397-a286-9dec49f8e252&seg=hho&ct=us&lg=en&docurl=20080828154508EN and http://www.avg.com/download-tools, save each to the desktop.
-Right click on the Norton removal tool, click "run as" and select "administrator".
-After the tool has run, do the same with the AVG Remover tool.

Did you try going to "Start>help" (as I suggested) and looking at the help files for the operating system? This should answer a lot of the questions you have ongoing.

sham1313

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 03:21:58 PM »
I went to my profile to hide e-mail like you ask it is not acceptting my password. I almost sign out, but thought if I was not acceptting my password maybe I could not get back in. what do I do now?
Sharon sham1313

One more thing, Sharon, on this forum, and any others you are a member of, it is a good idea to not have your email address displayed publicly.
It is inviting spammers. I suggest you go to your profile settings and set it to be hidden.

sham1313

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 03:39:08 PM »
it took my password last time. some times some timesbI am ask to leave it. I should of know. thanks Sharon sham1313

sham1313

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 04:00:50 PM »
this I already knew but it did not give me the different types of user account.
     thanks Sharon sham1313

User Account Control (UAC) is a feature in Windows that can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. UAC does this by asking you for permission or an administrator‌ password before performing actions that could potentially affect your computer's operation or that change settings that affect other users. When you see a UAC message, read it carefully, and then make sure the name of the action or program that's about to start is one that you intended to start.

By verifying these actions before they start, UAC can help prevent malicious software (malware) and spyware from installing or making changes to your computer without permission.

When your permission or password is needed to complete a task, UAC will alert you with one of the following messages:

sham1313

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 06:20:22 PM »
this I already knew but it did not give me the different types of user account.
     thanks Sharon sham1313
I wanted to ad about spyblaster I do have the right I am for sure. thanks
 :)

User Account Control (UAC) is a feature in Windows that can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. UAC does this by asking you for permission or an administrator‌ password before performing actions that could potentially affect your computer's operation or that change settings that affect other users. When you see a UAC message, read it carefully, and then make sure the name of the action or program that's about to start is one that you intended to start.

By verifying these actions before they start, UAC can help prevent malicious software (malware) and spyware from installing or making changes to your computer without permission.

When your permission or password is needed to complete a task, UAC will alert you with one of the following messages:

sham1313

Re: Nortin, AVG. and avast. and desktop icons
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 07:06:37 PM »
I am sorry you ask for what was under  gen. tab of  properties. some times when the pain patch I  am on just gets put on I should not be on the computer till after it has been on for awhile. here  is. what you ask for.
 this is the information I should have gave to you about what wound up on my desktop underproperties
gen: tab if gave the location the size witch was 1.09KB(1.22bytes
size on disk 4.00KB 4.096
created Feb 23modified April18th acessed Feb23

the other has type of file: configuration setting (ini)
open with notepad
size on desk 4.00KB (4.096)bytes
thanks Sharon sham1313

The thing about the weird files on the desktop has already been addressed here, though it might not have been the answer you wanted. http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6138_102-0.html?threadID=339374
There is another forum post about a similar issue here which might be pertinent (Check your sticky keys.) http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/120249-keyboard-shortcuts-please-help.html
It is also possible you have saved a movie, or something that came off the DVD player, to your desktop.

Did you actually find the "properties" window for that file, and how many tabs are at the top?

The "SpywareBlaster" icon should look like the one in the attached picture. It will only auto update if you have purchased it, which is fine, if you have the free version you have to manually update it.

To find out what sort of user account you have, click on "start>control panel>user accounts" and the number and type of accounts should be listed. I would guess there are two, possibly three . Two "standard" accounts with your names, and maybe one default or system admin account, which you won't be able to access.

When "doing stuff" (running programs etc) with Vista, the popups you see are normal, for a user with a standard account. There is a way of disabling it, which I don't recommend, when it happens, you just have to "OK" your way through them.

Try this:
-Delete the removal tools you already have for Norton and AVG.
-Download the latest versions from http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=1a13409b-29db-4397-a286-9dec49f8e252&seg=hho&ct=us&lg=en&docurl=20080828154508EN and http://www.avg.com/download-tools, save each to the desktop.
-Right click on the Norton removal tool, click "run as" and select "administrator".
-After the tool has run, do the same with the AVG Remover tool.

Did you try going to "Start>help" (as I suggested) and looking at the help files for the operating system? This should answer a lot of the questions you have ongoing.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 07:42:37 PM »
 :) Hi Sharon :

To "complement" an antiVIRUS program, it is wise to have 2 antiSPYWARE/
 antiTROJAN programs and the Best 2, which have "Free" Versions, are
 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, available from www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
 and "SUPERAntiSpyware", available from www.superantispyware.com .
 Some of your Posts imply you MAY have a "Rogue" antivirus program on your
 computer and the Best program to deal with that possibility would be the
 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program . I have these 2 and SpywareBlaster
 from javacoolsoftware.com as my ONLY antiSPYWARE programs . When
 mentioning "Names" of Programs it is important to be specific as possible .

sham1313

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 09:53:37 PM »
      about the desktop I did not know if it would make any difference in your answer if I gave you what you ask for under properties instead of what i sent you witch was what i got when i click on them. so the subject of them is closed.thanks for your opinon and help. 

I will try to say this in as few words as i can to explane about the spyware I have and how it was explane to use them. every times some one does help me they are always telling me just a bit different each time of what spyware to keep and not. then hp say only have 2 any two and no more.I will make sure I get each name right then you can tel me what you thing. some time back after I had learn some and got some good advice and kept only the virus protector witch was AVG and this Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34 Database version: 1812  after more virus trouble and help was told to use the superantispyware. then later was told I should keep them and download the spywareblaster and you pointed out to me witch was good that I had to be careful because of how very much the names can be close. I always try to keep that thought close by when dealing with a virus and comunacation back and force. I just re red what you had just wrote me and I gues I have learn because I have the same as what you have. at one time I either had none or to many. HP how ever a lot of the time they want to unstall one of any 3 spyware I had at that time.  I have had other and weeded than all out. hp wants me to have 1 spyware and maybe one more, but never 3. No rouge here this time. ones i have now. spyblaster I have just the one you have under properties I found out I had the same one you have and it is the one that windows live sent me the url to me.  I guess I do not have any other avast questions at this time.  I did do some reading on the other2 question I had read them just before I red your reply.  when I have another avast question now that I know how to start a new topic I will be back. thanks again Sharon H.
:) Hi Sharon :

To "complement" an antiVIRUS program, it is wise to have 2 antiSPYWARE/
 antiTROJAN programs and the Best 2, which have "Free" Versions, are
 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, available from www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
 and "SUPERAntiSpyware", available from www.superantispyware.com .
 Some of your Posts imply you MAY have a "Rogue" antivirus program on your
 computer and the Best program to deal with that possibility would be the
 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program . I have these 2 and SpywareBlaster
 from javacoolsoftware.com as my ONLY antiSPYWARE programs . When
 mentioning "Names" of Programs it is important to be specific as possible .

sham1313

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 10:03:50 PM »
I had thought I had already answer this once. maybe all I did was write it on a note pad and saved it. i may have forgot to paste send it here. My e-mail is hidden now. thank you Sharon sham1313

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »
Yes, your email is now hidden.  :)

The icons that appear on your desktop could be from a program that is installed to the desktop rather than in the C:\Program files folder. Without more information I don't know what that might be.

You can install as many demand-scan antispyware programs as you want. (It's your computer, not HP's.)  Only one antispyware which runs resident should be installed. (Resident means it starts with the computer, and constantly scans in the background, like Avast does. The only free scanners that do this are Windows Defender and SpywareTerminator. All the others, to have resident, or realtime capability, you would have to pay for.)

The general advice, and what HP were probably saying, is that you should only have one antivirus active, only one antispyware active, and only one firewall active. It is good advice. More than one of each kind can (and does) cause problems.

This is why I am attempting to make sure Norton and AVG have definitely been uninstalled from your computer. Did you run the tools as "administrator" that I suggested? Are there any Noton or AVG icons remaining?

sham1313

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
       my e-mail said I had a new post here but I  do not see one. I  do wish you tell me what you think of this. I do belive you read what I wrote and cnet or what I am use to calling them is windows live. when they have ask for my model number and the rest of the numbers on the bottom of my computer when i 1st join them close to a year ago they ask me to send these numbers a few times so they could help me. was it wrong for me to send them that information? thanks
Sharon sham1313