Author Topic: re cleaning norton  (Read 4714 times)

sta_minghia

re cleaning norton
« on: April 23, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »
i want to clean the rest of Norton left on my pc with Norton uninstall program
it tels me to close all running program what to do with avast how do i close it
thank you all Giovanni

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: re cleaning norton
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 04:10:55 PM »
right click the avast 'a' icon, select Stop On-Access Protection, though I really don't know why they would insist on this.

If what they are doing in the removal process is legit then avast shouldn't get in the way.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sta_minghia

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:58:29 PM »
OK i uninstalled without closing anything off
once Norton finished i restarted the pc  once it finished loading it froze
and every time i try to open the same thing start loading then freeze
then opened in safe mode scanned with spybot reopen and all OK
now i have a little problem with my mouse is not working properly
any explanation? thanks
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:07:52 PM by sta_minghia »

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »
OK too many things at the same time.

So now, when you start the computer in the normal mode, does it still freeze.

any explanation? thanks
A little problem is not very indicative of what you have. Does it respond slowly to the movements? Does it freeze sometimes?

Also, if possible please mention your system specifications. So Operating system, RAM, Processor, Other security applications (apart from avast and spybot).
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 11:10:47 PM »
Did you first install avast before cleaning out Norton, if so it may be that avast didn't install correctly.

avast doesn't run in safe mode so you could boot into safe mode and using add remove programs uninstall avast and boot into normal mode.

If that boots normally then reinstall avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sta_minghia

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:11:47 AM »
OK too many things at the same time.

So now, when you start the computer in the normal mode, does it still freeze.
yes
any explanation? thanks
A little problem is not very indicative of what you have. Does it respond slowly to the movements? Does it freeze sometimes?
when i click have to click many times (but not always)
Also, if possible please mention your system specifications. So Operating system, RAM, Processor, Other security applications (apart from avast and spybot).
running window xp avast  pc tools spyware doctor Malawarebytes

sta_minghia

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 12:38:37 AM »
Did you first install avast before cleaning out Norton, if so it may be that avast didn't install correctly.

avast doesn't run in safe mode so you could boot into safe mode and using add remove programs uninstall avast and boot into normal mode.

If that boots normally then reinstall avast.
avast  was installed before  cleaning out Norton and everything was working fine
should i reinstall avast if so how best way to do
thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 01:19:20 AM »
Yes I believe it would be best to do a clean reinstall.
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD (if you didn't save it from before), somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 03:52:28 AM »
Is MBAM the pro version, running in realtime, or the free (demand scanner) version?
If the former, it makes spyware doctor a bit redundant. SD is a bit of a hog anyway, and running MBAM with it will be fair sucking the performance out of the machine, unless it's high spec'd.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

sta_minghia

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 05:28:11 PM »
OK  i closed the pc then could not open anymore for the same reason would freeze when i open so i called the my tech guy and found a corrupt entry
thank you all