Author Topic: Resident protection keeps getting disabled  (Read 4191 times)

vegaboy7777

Resident protection keeps getting disabled
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:40:56 PM »
A few day ago, this problem started occuring,after i've removed a dll file that avast reported-resident protection went down,and can't be started,when i open avast antivirus,it say disabled,i can change it to standard or high,but it just gets back to disabled..when i opened services.msc, all avast services were stopped,although they are set to start up automatic and when i try to start them,it says it couldn0t be started because it didn't response(reports error:1053) I've tried reinstalling avast,but it didn't help,i still can't get resident protection..please help if you know how..my operating system is win xp SP2 and i haven't had any problems with avast until now..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Resident protection keeps getting disabled
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

vegaboy7777

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 10:25:38 PM »
I don't use a firewall or another antivirus program, at least not since the last i've formated my hard drive..i don't see how a repair instalation would help since i've already uninstalled,installed it again and the problem persists?

onlysomeone

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »
Did you use the Uninstall Utility to remove avast!?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »
So, your computer seems to be infected and not allowing avast to be correctly installed.
You can use on-line scanning or CD rescue scanning.

BitDefender
ESET NOD32
F-Secure

Read the instructions, download and burn (maybe from another computer), finally use one of this rescue CD's:
1. Avira
2. Kaspersky
3. BitDefender
4. F-Secure
5. Dr. Web
The best things in life are free.