Author Topic: Spybot S&D Detects Avast as Fraud Antivirus  (Read 7259 times)

Eminem

Spybot S&D Detects Avast as Fraud Antivirus
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »
This morning i got a message saying spybot s&d terminated aswupdSv.exe and detected it as Fraud.Antivirus2008 what should i do?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Spybot S&D Detects Avast as Fraud Antivirus
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 04:19:02 PM »
Get rid of S&D.

Seriously this is a false positive detection (this is the avast update process service) and you should report it to S&D.

S&D has long gone down in my estimation as a top notch anti-spyware, I abandoned it along with adaware years ago. The latest release of it was up to a point but this type of thing is doesn't help restore my faith, I guess this would be the resident element of S&D, which to me was the only value in retaining it ?

Yes all security applications suffer from FPs up to a point, but when I feel there are better solutions out there (SAS and MBAM) then I see no reason to put up with it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »
but when I feel there are better solutions out there (SAS and MBAM) then I see no reason to put up with it.
Get rid of S&D
Agree with Davidr
Got rid of A-Squared "To me the king of false positives" and S&D and Ad-Aware long ago because of the false positive issues
Also use SAS and MBAM and are doing just fine along with Avast! of course :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:29:50 PM by drhayden1 »

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 07:14:12 PM »

Spybot, like avast, does not delete on it's own.

It presents a list at the end of a scan.

Spybot requires input from the user in order to delete.

I just updated and scanned with Spybot. I received no detection of any parts of avast.

Spybot may not be as good as MBAM or SAS but it is not a bad program and does not delete with out input from the user.

Eminem

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 11:10:23 PM »
I have decided to switch to SuperAntiSpyware.

roadhawk1

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 11:14:44 PM »
I used to use Spybot ,but now use Avast. Spybot was constally bombared by Vundo attacks.

micky77

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 01:24:42 AM »
I used to use Spybot ,but now use Avast.
:o :o :o :o :o :o

Mr.Agent

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »
S&D was good in the past for me but now its seem to be really bad that why i didnt install it :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 01:43:45 PM »
To be sure you're clean, please, follow the general cleaning procedure:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.