Author Topic: dssenh.dll  (Read 19682 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: dssenh.dll
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 03:48:52 PM »
I am so confused. I was infected with this virus this afternoon. I tried installing the new version. It now says no files are infected but I still can't access any of my accounts that involve my email. I know nothing of computers and all of this is foreign to me.

What did you do on the detection, send to chest ?
If so did you restore it from the chest (right click on the file in the chest, select restore) to its original location ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

blestw4

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 11:39:18 PM »
I sent it to the chest but have not hit restore. I ran a new scan and it has found no viruses. I am able to log onto the internet but am having problems accessing anything with my email. I can get to yahoo, but as soon as I sign in it tells me that Internet explorer cannot open the page.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »
Hi folks,

This was reported as a False Positive, sometimes these things happen as there were two cases of malware posing as dssenh.dll. The FP was corrected in the latest iAVS-Update, so all should be all right again,

polonus

Click on the chimp to see that all is really OK...
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

blestw4

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 11:47:44 PM »
Then why can't I access my email and facebook page ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 11:53:21 PM »
I sent it to the chest but have not hit restore. I ran a new scan and it has found no viruses. I am able to log onto the internet but am having problems accessing anything with my email. I can get to yahoo, but as soon as I sign in it tells me that Internet explorer cannot open the page.

With it in the chest, then the file isn't in the original location so won't be available for the email, etc. Now it is confirmed as not infected you need to Restore it, open the Chest, Infected Files section again and right click on the file, select Restore. That will put it back where it came from and your email should work again.

Once yo have confirmed that the file is back where it belongs, in the c:\windows\system32 folder then you can delete the copy in the chest.

Then why can't I access my email and facebook page ???

Because the file is in the chest, as above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

blestw4

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »
Thank you. I am going to do this right now.

Clueless ;)

blestw4

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 12:00:42 AM »
Still not working. Do I have to reboot?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 12:03:56 AM »
It won't hurt ;)
The best things in life are free.

blestw4

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 12:12:45 AM »
You guys/gals are awesome! Thank you so much. I had my computer into the shop a couple months ago with a bad virus and was freaking out.

One more question, what was this? I don't undertand a false positive and how this happened?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »
I don't undertand a false positive and how this happened?
False positive is a clean file wrongly took as infected by avast.
It's not your fault. An avast update corrected the false detection.
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 12:24:44 AM »
Hi blestw4,

Well a False Positive is when a anti-virus scanner or part of it (heuristics) think that a good normal file is a malware file or that a good file behaves like a malware file that does more or less the same (behavioral find).
In the case of this legit good Microsoft made dll there must have been confusion with two files that has the same name hung to it and appeared as malware in the Sates and in Korea, if reports come in the avast coders get to work and take the false positive out rather quickly in most cases on the next update of the av-base if there is a real case of False Positive, users can check a file by uploading at virustotal.com if all scanners flag the file as malware it more than likely is malware, if only avast and another av solution that uses the same scanner flag it it can be a new detection or a False Positive, so whenever in doubt report these things here. Do you now understand what a FP is?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

blestw4

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 12:26:26 AM »
Yes! Thank you :)

blestw4

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 06:47:46 AM »
Back again with a question.  It seems I have one more web page that will not open. My dh let me know tonight that he can't access the library's web site. He said he had problems with this the same day as my email. I hit restore on the files in the chest to get back into my email and facebook. Once I did that I hit delete as I thought everything was ok. Any ideas on how to get back online with the library's page?

tech92117

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 06:42:28 PM »
Official response from Avast when queried about dssenh.dll:  http://twitter.com/avastantivirus/status/1627846689

blestw4

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 07:49:25 PM »
yeah, I knew it was a false positive, just not sure why there is one site that I still can't open. Maybe it's not related. Thanks:)