Author Topic: Windows Security Center and Avast  (Read 6343 times)

lilydiane2

Windows Security Center and Avast
« on: April 25, 2009, 03:53:42 AM »
Hi,
Windows Security Center is not detecting Avast as AntiVirus protection. In Windows Security Center it is listed under Maleware Protection rather then AntiVirus protection. Why is this and what can I do to change it. Is there a command that can change this. When I run my HP Total Care Advisor it tells me I don't have an AntiVirus program installed. Other then that I am not getting any warnings but an exclamation would be appreciated. I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows Security Center and Avast
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:10:49 PM »
Sometimes, Windows Security Center stop recognizing your antivirus or firewall... So, check your system time and date and also http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534

See also: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

The fact that HP does not detect avast won't be a problem of avast... does not mean that the antivirus is not installed, but just a lack of HP detection.
The best things in life are free.

lilydiane2

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me. The fact is that Windows Security Center does recognize Avast but it is listed in there as: "Malware Protection" not Antivirus Protection. There is a dropdown arrow on the right side of Malware Protection and when I click on it there are two things listed. Virus Protection (on) Spyware and other malware protection (on). My question was, why isn't Avast listed as AntVirus Protection instead of Malware protection. Seems odd since it suppose to be an AntiVirus program.

Hally

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 07:34:16 PM »
Hi lilydiana2  :)

I think I might be able to put your mind at rest  ;)

Hi,
Windows Security Center is not detecting Avast as AntiVirus protection. In Windows Security Center it is listed under Maleware Protection rather then AntiVirus protection. Why is this and what can I do to change it. Is there a command that can change this. When I run my HP Total Care Advisor it tells me I don't have an AntiVirus program installed. Other then that I am not getting any warnings but an exclamation would be appreciated. I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Thank you.

This Afternoon... I just happened to notice the very same thing  :o

However!

I'm 99% Certain ... It's Not A Problem With Avast  :D
My Guess Is...
I think a Windows Update may have changed the way the Vista Security Center works  :-\

Like You!
I was expecting to find Avast in the second box down.
But Instead Found...
Firewall
PC Tools Is On .. Blah, Blah, Blah
Automatic Updates
Updates On .. Blah, Blah, Blah
Malware Protection
Virus Protection
Avast Is On .. Blah, Blah, Blah
Spyware and Other Malware Protection
Avast and Windows Defender Is On .. Blah, Blah, Blah
Other Security Settings
UAC etc ON & OK ..  Blah, Blah, Blah

As for... HP Total Care Advisor 
I think it's probably only capable of seeing one kind of security... Norton  ::)

Like Tech said... Not Important / Nothing To Worry About   ;)

Both my Laptop and Desktop are HP's
I never even use the - HP Total Care Advisor 
Coz...
Desktop - It can't recognise my Printer ( Coz.. It's Not HP Printer  >:( )
Laptop - Just Don't Bother  ;D

Hope This Helps!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 07:37:10 PM by Hally »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 07:41:29 PM »
Seems odd since it suppose to be an AntiVirus program.
No, it's an antivirus + antispyware. So an antimalware (generic term for viruses).
It's ok and correct.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 07:43:10 PM »
I mean, it's listed in two different places: antivirus and antispyware also.

lilydiane2

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 10:22:36 PM »
Thank you Tech for you explanation. I completely understand now and am also very pleased. I love Avast and hope to use for some time to come.

Hally, if you read this post thanks for taking time out to explain about our HP computers. Now I know I am not alone.

Regards