Author Topic: recurring rpc error  (Read 3747 times)

Mad Pat

recurring rpc error
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:18:21 PM »
Hi, I'm Mad Pat and I'm new to Avast and the forum. I've received this error several times since recently installing Avast and thought I'd ask for some advice in troubleshooting it.  I've uninstalled/reinstalled and followed the faq procedure. I find that the service is set to run automatically and proceed to the fix option via add/remove programs which has worked in repairing the installation each time that I've encountered the rpc error so far. I was previously running Norton AV which was correctly uninstalled prior to launching Avast. I run an application called uTorrent which is bit torrent client and am wondering if there may be some known conflict either in running it or Zone Alarm. Otherwise my systems runs well, programs are up to date, no known conflicts, etc.  Thanks in advance for any assistance with this problem. MP

Operating System: Windows 2000 pro (sp4)
Processor: AMD Athlon 800 MHz, 524 Kb RAM
Firewall: Zone Alarm Version  7.0.483.000

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: recurring rpc error
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »
Something which isn't in the faq, is that this is commonly associated with having another AV or remnants of one on your system.

Norton can be a real pig to remove even after an uninstall and these are very commonly reported in the forums.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mad Pat

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »
Something which isn't in the faq, is that this is commonly associated with having another AV or remnants of one on your system.

Norton can be a real pig to remove even after an uninstall and these are very commonly reported in the forums.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Thanks David, I've already been there and done that. MP

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »
Then I would suggest if you are still experiencing these problems, that avast failed to install correctly, so a clean reinstall would be advisable.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mad Pat

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Then I would suggest if you are still experiencing these problems, that avast failed to install correctly, so a clean reinstall would be advisable.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Thanks. Will do if problem persists. MP

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 06:14:42 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.

Fred68

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:00:02 PM »
Fred68- First post. Have been suffering the RPC error for some time- takes 3 or 4 mins to 'unfreeze' on booting.  Have tried several of the better known remedies to no avail - re-installing, etc;  So last night, being bored, opened up the 'Settings' menu of Avast!. Selected  'Troubleshooting' and ticked  ' Delay loading of Avast! services after other system services.'
   It hasn't entirely eliminated the problem  but the boot time has been greatly reduced.  Has anyone else tried this?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 09:10:37 PM »
We will need more information to be able to help you:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
- In XP/Vista, is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?
The best things in life are free.