Author Topic: Question (I'm a newbee)  (Read 3837 times)

djDave

Question (I'm a newbee)
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »
 In my scans I get a whole page of (can not scan, password protected) files, I never used to get these ! Does anyone know what's up with this, and what I can do to get all of them scaned ?  thanks much ... dave

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Re: Question (I'm a newbee)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »
You can't get them scaned because there password protected. If you want to scan those files, then un-password protect them.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

djDave

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 03:20:41 PM »
  I have not password protected anything since my last scan, and it did not have a bunch like this.. Is there somewhere I can remove all passwords from  protected files ? I have never password protected any file...Thanks again

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
  I have not password protected anything since my last scan, and it did not have a bunch like this.. Is there somewhere I can remove all passwords from  protected files ? I have never password protected any file...Thanks again

Did you download any "password protected" files?
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

djDave

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 03:33:16 PM »
 Not that I know of, I have not needed a password for anything except my yahoo e-mail and IM..

onlysomeone

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:37:06 PM »
Hi djDave!

it can also be that you installed any software which contains password-protected files...
it hasn't to be encoded by you...

I wouldn't worry about this files, but if you want you can do a scan with additional software like
SAS or MBAM.

yours
onlysomeone

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
Many programs password protect their files for legitimate reasons (usually security programs). For example Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy, and avast can't scan those files,  as avast don't know the password.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

djDave

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »
  That may be it, I run Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy, but I have for several years, and this is the first I've noticed all the unable to scan thing..thanks much..
 I just read some about SAS, thankyou, will it conflict with my avast ? By the way I love Avast and have turned many (all) of my friends on to it...thanks again...  dave

onlysomeone

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 04:04:01 PM »
I just read some about SAS, thankyou, will it conflict with my avast ? By the way I love Avast and have turned many (all) of my friends on
I don't think that there are any conflicts or problems that should appear when using Avast and SAS...
but probably someone else can confirm this... :)

By the way I love Avast and have turned many (all) of my friends on
thats nice to hear ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 04:45:10 PM »
In my scans I get a whole page of (can not scan, password protected) files, I never used to get these ! Does anyone know what's up with this, and what I can do to get all of them scaned ?  thanks much ... dave

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35347.msg297170#msg297170 this topic for more information on why files can't be scanned.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

djDave

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 09:32:03 PM »
Thanks so much everyone, I did a boot scan, and all is fine....thanks again..dave

Mr.Agent

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 12:52:52 PM »
Its happaned me yesterday i tried to open a .exe on the zip protected but before i do it avast! sayed that its was a trojan so that a way that avast! is scanning everything that you use or load.....