Author Topic: Outpost 2009 free edition  (Read 19177 times)

timcan

Re: Outpost 2009 free edition
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 01:33:14 AM »
I've installed the outpost 2009 free on a xp sp3 laptop, using avast with webshield on, opera browser. Still not much difference in what my speed normally is. :)

Last Result:
Download Speed: 5863 kbps (732.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 429 kbps (53.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

with web shield off:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 6103 kbps (762.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 429 kbps (53.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:37:13 AM by RNfromTN »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 01:56:03 AM »
RNfromTN,

I don't know what to tell you.

My normal speed is much faster than yours.  My XP Sp3 desktop was downloading slow with Outpost 2009 Free, that is what prompted me to check my internet speed.  I checked multiple times.  Strangely with Outpost 2009 Free turned off, it was still running in the slow speed range.

I uninstalled OP, reinstalled ZA Free.  I was back in the high speed range.  With ZA Free turned off I was running faster.

I did multiple speed checks in all tests of OP & ZA.

I'm happy it works fine for you. ;D

Sammo

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 07:25:36 AM »
Am I the only one in avast! forums to try Outpost 2009 Free 6.5?
I am also using Outpost 2009 Free 6.5. It was able to prevent leaks from the PCFlank Leaktest. I switched form Comodo because I was unable to get it to pass this test. Outpost was also able to pass the keylogger test from http://www.zemana.com/SecurityTests.aspx which Comodo failed.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 02:05:43 AM »
With Online Armor Full my internet is faster than it is with ZA.  That is quite a contrast to Outpost Free 6.5!  With OA Full my internet is faster, while with Outpost Free 6.5 it's drastically slower.

Currently OA Full (pay for) is tops in Matousec's firewall tests

OA Free & Outpost Free 6.5 are virtually tied.  OA is secure & fast!

Sammo

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 02:18:23 AM »
With Online Armor Full my internet is faster than it is with ZA.  That is quite a contrast to Outpost Free 6.5!  With OA Full my internet is faster, while with Outpost Free 6.5 it's drastically slower.

Currently OA Full (pay for) is tops in Matousec's firewall tests

OA Free & Outpost Free 6.5 are virtually tied.  OA is secure & fast!
I tried OA Free but found that it dramatically slowed down my boot time and pestered me with way too many alerts. The new Outpost is a much improved product over its previous versions and works well for me. I may try OA again in the near future and see how it is now. Thanks!

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 10:45:07 PM »
Sammo,

On first reboot after installation OA will be very slow, after that it will be quick (whatever your normal boot up is) at boot up.

Outpost Free 6.5 has weaker inbound filtering than Outpost Pro.

Read the thread below, especially posts #90 & #97 by Stem, Wilder's firewall guru.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=240422&page=4

Sammo

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 11:15:47 PM »
Sammo,

On first reboot after installation OA will be very slow, after that it will be quick (whatever your normal boot up is) at boot up.

Read the thread below, especially posts #90 & #97 by Stem, Wilder's firewall guru.

I may get the OP Pro in the future. I just tried Online Armor again and found that it not only takes up more system resources than Outpost but it completely blocked all internet connections even though I was really careful in the setup. I'll pass on OA from now on. Another good addition I have is Zemana Antilogger  (http://www.zemana.com/) which kills stuff that might get past OP or avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 12:18:37 AM »
<snip>

Whilst that is one opinion, I believe the results of the http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php is another and OP free does very well overall. With a better result than the OP Pro firewall (on a technicality) and better than Online Armor Free.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 04:08:55 AM »
David,

OA Free passed the tests OP Free failed & OP Free passed those OA Free failed, except they both failed Crash7.  That puts them at an exact tie.  Add what Stem said about OP Free's inbound puts OA Free far above OP Free.

Regardless of these results, we need to use what works best on our own systems.

OA doesn't work for Sammo and OP drastically slows my internet, so it's OP for Sammo & OA for me. 8)

I read in OA forums leftovers from other fw's can conflict with OA, there may be help for Sammo there. ;)

In the mean time a router fw can give him peace of mind. ;D

Sammo

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 04:33:39 AM »
David,

OA Free passed the tests OP Free failed & OP Free passed those OA Free failed, except they both failed Crash7.  That puts them at an exact tie.  Add what Stem said about OP Free's inbound puts OA Free far above OP Free.

Regardless of these results, we need to use what works best on our own systems.

OA doesn't work for Sammo and OP drastically slows my internet, so it's OP for Sammo & OA for me. 8)

I read in OA forums leftovers from other fw's can conflict with OA, there may be help for Sammo there. ;)

In the mean time a router fw can give him peace of mind. ;D
Someday I may again try OA on another machine, but for now OP, avast and Antilogger work really well on my current computer. This s/w combo plus my h/w firewall passes all the tests. You may want to try OA to see if it passes the tests here: http://www.zemana.com/SecurityTests.aspx . If it does, let me know. Thanks!  :)

Conogo

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 05:02:49 PM »
http://free.agnitum.com/

Another free firewall available now. Hope this helps.   :)

In McAfee SiteAdvisor tests, they found 21 yellow downloads on this site that some people consider adware, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs.  :o

Any Outpost Firewall user notice any potentially unwanted program/adware/spyware ?  ;D Is it Ask.com toolbar ? Like the one in Comodo Firewall and ZoneAlarm Fireall ?  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 07:24:05 PM »
I would trust Agnitum over site advisor any day of the week. I have been using the outpost firewall in various guises for about 8 years from the original free (version 1.0) through to the Outpost Firewall Pro and never been any hint of adware/spyware unwanted programs, etc.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 09:02:13 PM »
I would trust Agnitum over site advisor any day of the week.  ...

Feel the same !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »
I would trust Agnitum over site advisor any day of the week.  ...

Feel the same !
+1
The best things in life are free.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 12:37:19 AM »
I use Outpost 2009 (free) on Thinkpad / XP Pro SP3 with IE8 brower.
I also have avast running alongside MSE beta and so far all good. I have posted about this.
I work Outpost with combo - runonce / learn mode - to set basic rules default and so far all good.

I use OA (pay) on 2 computers with profile below - Firefox browser - and so far all good.
Also OA (pay) on Asus P4 with much same profile as computers below - so far all good.

I don't think I push these computers too hard as most my time is taken up just getting through my work routine. And doing a bit of research whenever I have time spare time. Or else repair. maintenance, build of computers. So pretty much stay on safe ground - just pesky adware sometimes.

I use ASK toolbar for research purposes - but only for record / convert and instead search web using more conventional tools, mainly google search box, but also academic - like University, Tech Institute or W3C - search engines. So I guess that cuts down a lot of the likelihood of malware intrusion.

Now firewalls settled in, I cannot tell difference Outpost and OA with general running. So far.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:28:06 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.