Author Topic: Windows 7 freezes after Avast install/restart  (Read 4770 times)

techbert

Windows 7 freezes after Avast install/restart
« on: June 05, 2009, 03:18:19 AM »
I have a fresh clean install of Windows 7 RC 7100.  Installed Avast! Restart without boot scan.  Within 3 minutes Windows 7 is frozen.  Installed Avast! in Safe Mode, no more freezing on restart.  Event logs show:

Service Control Manager   7030: The avast! Antivirus service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly. 

Service Control Manager   7030: The avast! iAVS4 Control Service service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly. 

Service Control Manager   7030: The avast! Mail Scanner service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly. 

Service Control Manager   7030: The avast! Web Scanner service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly.

Each service is set to log on using the local system account with "Allow service to interact with desktop" checked.  Further research shows it may be related to Session 0 Isolation in Vista and later.  A white paper on the topic can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/vista/services.mspx.

Is there any additional information on this issue and it's resolution?

onlysomeone

Re: Windows 7 freezes after Avast install/restart
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:05:04 PM »
Hi techbert!

I can't reproduce this problem...
Is your system 32bit or 64bit?

Do you use any other security software? (antivirus, antispyware, firewall,...)
Or did you use any other antivirus before?

Did you change any of the default (advanced) settings of windows seven or avast?

yours
onlysomeone

techbert

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:48:56 AM »
32 bit os with an AMD AM2+ processor.  Since I had just installed the OS, this was the initial AV install.  The only other progs I have installed at the moment are Adobe Flash Player and Reader, Microsoft mouse and a wireless lan card.

I really hadn't configured anything except power options, and I did not have a chance to change any Avast settings, as my system would freeze after the initial install reboot, no BSOD, just a hard stop not keyboard or mouse.

onlysomeone

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »
Honestly I'm not sure what is the problem here, but I would suggest to let Malwarebytes Antimalware and Superantispyware scan your PC first.

Then make a clean installation of avast!.
Therefor you need the avast! uninstall utility.
Uninstall avast! and run the uninstall utility.
Restart your computer and reinstall avast! (if possible with a newly downloaded installation file).
Please make sure you are logged onto your computer as administrator and give the package full rights to install. (Normal mode, not safe mode...)

And then post back the results please. :)

techbert

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 03:05:56 PM »
First of all, thanks for your help.   ;D 
Ran Malwarebytes, nothing found.  Installed Superantispyware.  On confirming the Superantispyware language, computer video went to horizontal lines and audio buzzed for about 5 seconds, then system rebooted.

I reformatted and installed Windows 7 x86 RC 7100.  Enabled and logged in as Administrator.  Installed a RaLink 26xx Wireless PCI LAN card.  Installed Avast Home.  Reboot without boot scan.  Added serial.  Within a couple of minutes, system froze as before.

Went into safemode,  deselected all options under Programs Change/Uninstall, except Language (required).  Rebooted.  No crashes.   Selected Web protection under  Programs Change/Uninstall.  Reboot.  System froze after log in. 

I made no other configuration changes, installed no other software, including cancelling the the prompted Flash player.  It seems I can only run Avast without the additional enhancements selected. 

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »
techbert, how much RAM does your system have and is the video adapter sharing main RAM?

I don't have a problem on my Windows 7 system.

techbert

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 02:57:31 AM »
Yes, video shares RAM.  4Gb system RAM