Author Topic: Windows Firewall ? wondering ::)  (Read 8910 times)

Ninjabot

Windows Firewall ? wondering ::)
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:09:54 AM »
I use windows firewall but is it really that bad if so should I wait until avast releases version 5 or should I download something like PC Tools firewall or Comodo firewall pro.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Windows Firewall ? wondering ::)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:52:13 AM »
Hi Ninjabot,
It depends. How secure do you need your computer to be? If you use it for banking or CC transactions, the answer should be "very." And in that case I'd get a two way firewall. (In fact, I have. ;D)
The standard Windows firewall does a fine job of blocking unsolicited stuff inbound, but has no outbound control. A two way firewall provides this. So if you are unfortunate enough to install some malware on your computer unknowingly, the pop-up it will then produce might be your last chance to prevent the malware connecting outbound.
There are two basic types of outbound firewall. Ru;es absed, and application based. Rule based is harder to set up, unless you know what you are doing. Application based will produce a lot of prompts, for the first few days, while it learns (under your guidance) what is permitted to access the net, and not. It is important to gt this right.
Avast 5, at least in its' early stage, will not have the firewall unless you purchase the pro version.

Hope that helps a bit.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:54:46 PM »
If you want a two ways firewall i can suggest Comodo Firewall but after that im sastisfate of my Windows Vista Firewall like some guy sayed its got outbound and inbound !!!!

Ninjabot

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »
Thanks for answering I decided to stick with the windows firewall because my computer has been fine all this time.

again thanks for answering both of you. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:38:13 PM »
I'm another who is waiting for avast 5 firewall :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »

Me too Tech I'm waiting for this as well  ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

onlysomeone

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 02:51:31 PM »

Me too Tech I'm waiting for this as well  ;)

I'm also waiting for it^^
But I'm not sure if I'm going to use it for more than the testing period...  :-\
I'm also quiet happy with the Windows Firewall...
But lets see what the Avast! Firewall will bring to us  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
I use windows firewall but is it really that bad if so should I wait until avast releases version 5 or should I download something like PC Tools firewall or Comodo firewall pro.

The one key factor you don't mention is your OS as the XP firewall has zero outbound protection at all, for me that is not an option. I certainly wouldn't be waiting for any firewall to be released, avast or other wise on the off chance I didn't have a problem.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

If you have the Vista firewall - You could also enable the outbound protection of the Vista firewall, but it isn't very friendly, is rule based and you have to create the rules. - Vista Firewall Control, check out this topic for some user friendly help for the Vista Firewall, Outbound protection, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30234.0

So as and when the avast firewall is released July probably you won't have been waiting for two months with limited firewall protection.

The other issue is that the avast firewall in the first instance is only likely to be released in an avast suite form and that may only be a paid option, so that is something which you should consider as that policy (sales/marketing) has yet to be confirmed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jimb11

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 02:15:11 AM »
If you use the Vista Firewall Control can you turn off the built-in vista firewall?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 02:21:46 AM »
I answered this in the other post you made 5 minutes earlier in the Vista Firewall Control topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ninjabot

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:34:31 PM »
 ;D
 ;) I am using windows vista home edition. I tried to use the outbound in the firewall but it didnt work out well.
    I also have a firewall inside my wireless router I hear that type of firewall is stronger than software firewall so I think its fine ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 03:37:38 PM »
What you hear isn't totally correct as your wireless routers firewall unless it specifically states it only protects against inbound threat so your in the same boot.

Try the Vista Firewall Control, that I previously mentioned as it should may life easier to control the vista firewall.

Ninjabot

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »
I am using vista firewall control right now and it seems to be doing its job, wow such a simple program.  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 10:27:30 PM »
Glad that you are finding it much easier that the bog standard Vista Firewall interface.

Offline jimb11

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 05:24:02 PM »
What are some good firewall test sites?