Author Topic: Avast On-Access Protection stopping browsers opening  (Read 17496 times)

rossb

Avast On-Access Protection stopping browsers opening
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:48:25 AM »
I installed Avast in place of AVG Free for the first time a couple of days ago after numerous recommendations. It was fine yesterday, but on booting up today I was unable to open IE7 or Firefox. I disabled the On-Access Protection and voila - both browsers were back to functioning normally.

I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled it after seeing this recommendation on a tech forum for a person who was having the same problems with Avast On-Access Protection.

Unfortunately, the same issue has recurred, right from when the new installation was completed! I had to turn off Avast On-Access Protection to open FF to go to this forum and type out this post. I am currently unprotected, which is not a good feeling.

I am on the point of returning to AVG, which never gave me issues like these, even if it is considered second-best to Avast by many.

Can someone please help?

Cheers
Ross

onlysomeone

Re: Avast On-Access Protection stopping browsers opening
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:00:48 AM »
Hi rossb!

Please run the AVG Remover which removes all parts of the previous AVG installation...
(Remaining parts can cause conflicts...)
Then run the Avast! Uninstall Utility
And then try to install Avast again with a new installation file from the Avast! Homepage

Did you also use any other security software before? (before AVG/parallel with AVG)
Are you using any other security software parallel to Avast?
(Antivirus, Firewall, Antispyware,...)
If yes - which ones?

yours
onlysomeone

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:10:46 AM »
I installed Avast in place of AVG Free for the first time a couple of days ago

Hi Ross
You don't say which version of AVG Free you removed. The AVG Remover won't help if it's 7.5. It's for 8.X only.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

rossb

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:34:09 AM »
Thanks for your responses, guys.

onlysomeone, I was using Zonealarm (free) years ago on this computer and have not reformatted since then. I am currently running Spybot and Adaware as well as Avast.

Re your query, Vladimyr, I was using the most recent AVG (8.5).

I'm interested to know if you think any of these programs has conflicted with Avast in some way that might have produced the problem I'm having with the IE7 and FF. I'd rather be running less, rather than more of these anti-virus/spyware programs, so if I'm needlessly doubling up or over-protected and this is resulting in conflicts, I'll be happy to uninstall the offender(s). I WANNA like Avast, believe me, as AVG seemed to be getting a little bloated in its current version, slowing the computer down a bit I suspected, and was taking a bloody long time to run its check on the HD!

Cheers
Ross

onlysomeone

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:48:16 AM »
The problem is that Antivirus Programs sometimes let something on the computer although they get uninstalled...
So please try what I suggested in my first post

Please run the AVG Remover which removes all parts of the previous AVG installation...
And then try to install Avast again with a new installation file from the Avast! Homepage

Spybot and Adaware shouldn't conflict with avast... so you can let them on your PC.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:50:32 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=44543.msg373241#msg373241 If you have the same problem then do what its say :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 01:44:15 PM »
Which is your firewall? Is ashWebSv.exe allowed to connect?
The best things in life are free.

rossb

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 06:51:51 PM »
Tech, my firewall is the Windows one (OS is Win XP Home + SP2). I don't know what you mean by your question "is ashWebSv.exe allowed to connect" - could you explain please?

onlysomeone

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 07:03:45 PM »
Did you already do what I suggested?

rossb

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »
onlysomeone,

I've done all you suggested. The new installation of Avast, again, will not allow IE7 or FF to open while On-Access Protection is on. As soon as I disable it, both browsers start operating normally, as before.

I'm not sure how to tell if AVG has been completely removed - maybe it hasn't been and this is the problem. I ran the AVG remover several times and restarted the computer each time. Still the same two entries come up in the Win DOS window each time I run the remover. How do I know whether the remover has, indeed, removed all remnants of AVG, please?

If AVG has been completely removed, WTF is going on? I want to give Avast a fair try, but this is starting to look like too much of a hassle. Maybe I should just go back to AVG - I never had a moment's problem installing it. Disappointing, though. Avast looked good. Any other suggestions as to how to rectify this browser problem, and I will follow up on them, though. I don't want to give up on Avast without trying it properly. Damn!

onlysomeone

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 07:29:33 PM »
And you never used Norton or Mc Affee?

Hally

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 07:42:14 PM »
Hi :)

When I uninstalled AVG 8.5 from my desktop computer about 5 weeks ago...

1/ I was expecting trouble getting rid  ::) So! ... Uninstalled AVG 8.5 with - Revo Uninstaller.

2/ Thinking AVG 8.5 was completely gone.. I Installed - Avast Home 4.8  8)

3/ Avast seemed happy ... But ... The computer had a couple of rather dodgy Start Ups  :'(

4/ I found an - AVG Folder  >:(

5/ I downloaded and ran the AVG Removal Tool  ;D

6/ Computer Happy!  :D

However!

7/ 4 days ago I once again found another AVG Folder .. For The -  AVG Toolbar  :o

8/ Deleted The Flamin AVG Toolbar Folder  :P

9/ Don't ever want AVG back again ... I'm Stickin With Avast  ;)

10/ AVG is almost as hard to get rid of as Norton  ::)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 07:45:14 PM by Hally »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 08:57:19 PM »
Quote from: Hally
10/ AVG is almost as hard to get rid of as Norton

It never used to be like that, but with introduction of avg8 and avg8.5 it has become more prone to leaving remnants that are hard to get rid of.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rossb

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 05:51:29 AM »
I have run AVG Removal multiple times, and just did a search of my files/folders containing "AVG" - I was surprised to discover many still left! I manually deleted those that I could, but some indicated that removal was not possible (forget the explanation).

I'm still not able to open IE7 or FF after now 3 times uninstalling and reinstalling Avast - except when disabling the On-Access Protection. Having followed all suggestions by you kind folk who have responded to my post, I am now completely stuck.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
I'm not clear, you say you can't 'open' IE7 or FF, is that exactly what you mean or do you mean you can't browse and sites when using them.

If you literally mean you can't physically open them, then there is something going on in the background, that appears to be conflict. Typically two AVs trying to hook a file to scan it, so what is strange is that this only effects IE7 and FF and not other executable files when you try to run them. So there is certainly something strange going on in your system, as it has all the hallmarks of a conflict yet it is only when opening browsers ???

To get round the problem, you could pause the standard shield open the browser, using about blank as your home page so it doesn't connect immediately and once open resume the standard shield so you are protected.

This isn't a permanent solution but a test, can you then browse or do you experience other issues and if so what ?

What were the errors when you tried to manually delete what avg registry entries you found ?
I suspect some sort of permission error, in which case you would have to take control of the key, e.g. Right click on the key, select Permissions, and ensure your user account is allowed Full control, that should allow you to delete that avg entry in the key.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security