Author Topic: wow Comodo found something Avast! did not...  (Read 3708 times)

darkdomino

wow Comodo found something Avast! did not...
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »
So I've always been a fan of the Comodo Firewall and I use it in conjunction with Avast! ...  when a new release came out, I promptly reinstalled it and not thinking let Comodo install the antivirus component of their firewall.

So basically... Comodo started up and updated a definitions database.  I thought to myself... what the hell is this thing doing?   Anyway it did a complete system scan and found:

Unclassified Malware@8351713 in an executable "A0036382.exe" in my C:\System Volume Information

so... seeing as I didn't trust Comodo's antivirus, I ignored the infection and ran a full system scan of Avast! as well as a boot-time scan.  Avast! did not find this infection at all.

I am quite disturbed by this.  I have always trusted Avast! to keep my system clean and it misses an infected file in my System restore points?  That's not good in my book.

If you have Comodo, I'd highly reccomend using the antivirus component (resident scanning turned off, of course) and run scans with it.  It might find things Avast! won't.

sded

Re: wow Comodo found something Avast! did not...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »
Did you run the file against Virus Total?  http://www.virustotal.com/   Comodo still reports a lot of False Positives, and this is an area where they are often found by heuristics because of their uniqueness.  But AVs aren't 100% and don't use common databases or time frames, so even VT will show you a distribution of hits and misses for real viruses that will shift between the AVs for different threats.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:47:06 PM by sded »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:17:03 PM »
I wouldn't rely on anything that is classified as Unclassified Malware by Comodo.
I've seen it detecting loads of harmless stuff by that name. Looks like those detections are machine generated and are often wrong.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:28:14 PM »
Comodo antivirus is far from being a good one...
The best things in life are free.