Author Topic: SQL database grows forever, cant log into adnm  (Read 18284 times)

wpn

Re: SQL database grows forever, cant log into adnm
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 09:29:59 PM »
what is the complete data that is being inserted that generates so much rows??

bryonTRN

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 09:40:44 PM »
i would love to find out... but.... i can only view the top 1000 lines without sql crashing out (cant display 24 million lines i guess)

there's columns...  guid, date/time, workstation name, error code in hex

note that even after i delete the database and let it make a new one, without restoring, i still am getting the SAME event logs from the clients, even back thru 2008

the clients just keep sending the same info

wpn

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 12:14:20 AM »
can u post some of those lines?

guid, date/time, workstation name, error code in hex

specialy the hex code draws my attention

did u remove all the clients yet or at least let them look for the internet server instead of your AMS server so you
have some more peace finding out?....

sounds more like some of your clients or all are generating errors that they want to put in the AMS for u to see but it happens extremely much

another thing can u check on your clients (or at least a client that u see in those first few lines u can look at) if their logs are filling with something else too?

bryonTRN

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 04:52:17 PM »
sure, here's some lines

i tried to get the tabs right, if you copy/paste into wordpad it'll format properly i think

http://pastebin.com/m3e5585d0

wpn

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 11:18:47 PM »
is this a cut out from a clean recent db???  cuz when i see the dates i see 2008 coming by too
which i dont believe should be coming in....

tho i need to check (if possible to find without alwil shedding a light on the event id's) what the event id's mean

i see a lot of 7FFF0021   parameters comming by.....

can u go to the avast maintainance tool and tell me how much licenses you got??

becuz in the sticky thread the hex code 7FFF0021  returns back as    Not enough licenses

when i do as in the sticky thread  says then the error with 0xA410
seems to translate to 42000 in decimal
when i do   net helpmsg i get an error telling me its not a valid windows network message number
when i google  net helpmsg 42000  i see a lot of postings about databases and diskspace shortage

so how much space is on the disks from your database partition? :)  (i just need to ask, i know im a *sshol some time, but then again just following clues here and admitted i just looked at the information google showed instead of reading the actual pages)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:41:44 PM by wpn »

bryonTRN

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 03:14:57 PM »
this is a brand new database and not a restore.. it's the top 400 lines...

there's about 320 clients connecting in, and we have licenses for 290... we're working to get more licenses, but i dont know how to tell those outstanding clients to deal with it...

in either case, it cant really be just a licensing thing because they're still sending entries from 2008 :/

wpn

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 10:27:37 PM »
insufficient licenses shouldnt be generating this much lines in such a short time indeed, but it seems to happen...

can u try to make a group for the pc's that are too much for the licenses and put in the policy to directly connect to internet server
instead of the AMS server?

try to uninstall clients until u have 290 clients left, i suggest start with pc's that still report with 2008
then see if the DB still grows that fast, if it does then keep uninstalling...

i seem to remember u tried using 2 AMS servers already, if not, u could give that a try even tho its just 320 clients connecting....

bryonTRN

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 09:01:45 PM »
hi there, thanks for the reply

all of the clients have their policy changed already to update from the internet and not our AMS.

this was similar to the fix suggested via email by support@avast.com, basically they said to uninstall all client machines and reinstall them...  not exactly easy to do, will require telling users how to uninstall avast, and reinstall it... users that can barely find the start menu.

at this point it's easier for me just to script a shrink on the log file and continuously run the 'delete from event' thing :/

this is easier than trying to reinstall all the clients, and WAY easier than trying to move to eset nod32 - which is a great package but far too complicated on the server side.

wpn

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 09:48:20 PM »
well, u can uninstall managed clients from the console
u need to create a new installation package but instead of deploying u need to uninstall (the option is in the first screen or second) ....

my experience is however that u cant uninstall avast that easy and u need to use the uninstall tool that allwill gives free to download
maybe u can script that?

Jan Nabelek

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 01:28:55 AM »
this was similar to the fix suggested via email by support@avast.com, basically they said to uninstall all client machines and reinstall them...  not exactly easy to do, will require telling users how to uninstall avast, and reinstall it... users that can barely find the start menu.
Use client task (define uninstallation task) from adnm console. (Un)installation si your work, not your BFU's... :-)
If you can manage your PC, using Wake on Lan, you can plan it on weekend days. When uninstall task failed, then you can use aswcleaner - free uninstallation utility (via Remote desktop unfortunately)