Author Topic: Avast Fixed Virus but still Have Pop Ups  (Read 4266 times)

lusterglo

Avast Fixed Virus but still Have Pop Ups
« on: April 29, 2009, 02:43:30 PM »
Avast dude came on and fixed my computer. Awesome. SO happy.  ;D but I now have annoying pop ups that Avast doesn't seem to find. It started when i accidentally downloaded the NEW internet explorer on myspace. i didnt know it had anything to do with myspace, but it was on that day that i started getting pop ups that arent necessarily bad, just annoying. Telling me to buy something that is related to the site i am on. How it knows I do not know. Anyway, i deleted that myspace internet explorer to my knowledge and uploaded one from the microsoft website, version 7. The pop ups could be infecting my computer somehow and I do not know. I run avast daily and it doesn't seem to locate the problem. Thanks!!! :)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Re: Avast Fixed Virus but still Have Pop Ups
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:46:45 PM »
download and install these programsm update them:

Malwarebytes Antimalware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
SUPERAntiSpyware: http://www.superantispyware.com/
SpyBot S&D: http://www.spybot.info/

scan your computer using them, also try to immunize your windows using SpyBot S&D.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »
I'm sure one of the guru's will jump in here but, if memory serves pop-up blocking is not a function of Avast!...

You need to block pop-ups within your browser...  Firefox comes with it...  Can't address IE as I void it like the plague...

There could be an add-on to IE for pop-up blocking though I know that the Google Toolbar has such a function and I believe the Yahoo! Toolbar does also.

What Omid Farhang suggested is a good first step...

Pythaeral

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:16:50 PM »
In IE -

Tools > Manage Addons > Enable or Disable Addons

If there's anything listed there with a name consisting of random letters, it could be a clue to malware. For a quick fix you can try disabling them and restarting IE but you will need to remove them using the afore mentioned applications.

avastjan

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 05:35:19 PM »
i do experienced also a pop up everytime i restart my computer....it's in temp\E_4\shell.fne

how can i get rid of this?
i already deleted it and send to chest but still it is still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 05:39:47 PM »
i do experienced also a pop up everytime i restart my computer....it's in temp\E_4\shell.fne

how can i get rid of this?
i already deleted it and send to chest but still it is still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you used my links above?
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE