Author Topic: Again: Why doesn't Avast! 4 H. E. Detect a test virus sent from a web page?  (Read 15428 times)

whocares

my Login wouldn't give an option to log on as Administrator (Ctl+Alt+Del, usual break to administrator),

Hi,

I don't know how it is with XP Pro; on XP HE you can only reach the real "Administrator" by booting in safeMode (F8-Boot) for the 1st time.
Afterwards, it should be available via normal boot or logoff/login

In Win2000 (since SP2/SP4 ?) there are subtle, but mean differences between adminUser and the one-and-only, REAL "Administrator" concerning what they can or can't do.
Maybe also in XP ?

what changes exactly did you do/customize ? maybe avast recognized those as identical to "HIGH" security,  and thus kept the slider there..

;D ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Hi,

I don't know how it is with XP Pro; on XP HE you can only reach the real "Administrator" by booting in safeMode (F8-Boot) for the 1st time.
---
what changes exactly did you do/customize ? maybe avast recognized those as identical to "HIGH" security,  and thus kept the slider there..

XP Pro lets you use the clasic (win2000 style) login where you input your user (administrator) and password. You use Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up that login screen rather than click on a users image and enter the password.

The main changes were:
Scanner Advanced, Scan created/modified and default extension set.
Blocker, ticked all Opening, Renaming, Deleting & Formatting - Changed Allow to Deny the operation.

Those settings remain unchanged when I enter customised but the slider reverts to High.  ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Hi DavidR,

@RejZor: avast intercepts all 3 tests under Netscape 7.02, too (which has the mozilla engine); but of course you need avast set to scan files on create

;)

Well Mozilla uses Netscapes engine not vice versa :P
Also i don't get any alerts in Opera/Mozilla and i have sensitivity set to High (scan files on open/create/modify/copy itd...)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

shgoh

maybe ???...i think i saw similar posts regarding this problem...but just couldn't find it >:(

Also i don't get any alerts in Opera/Mozilla and i have sensitivity set to High (scan files on open/create/modify/copy itd...)

i can verify this :'(

whocares

Oops, sorry, you're right, it was some other AV which detected them under Netscape

at home (avast) I could only get IE to even show the test buttons

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Netscape is part of AOL
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

shgoh

Netscape is part of AOL

yes...sad but true :'(...i used to be a netscape supporter...not anymore..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
my Login wouldn't give an option to log on as Administrator (Ctl+Alt+Del, usual break to administrator),

In Win2000 (since SP2/SP4 ?) there are subtle, but mean differences between adminUser and the one-and-only, REAL "Administrator" concerning what they can or can't do.
Maybe also in XP ?

I was able, after a reboot, to log on as administrator, simply by Ctrl+Alt+Del (twice) this breaks out to clasic login and enabled me to login as administrator.

It took some doing to make custom stick even as administrator, in effect I had to virtually sellect most of the advanced options. The thing that I beleive made it stick was in Scanner Advance to scan all files. From here I was able to reboot and login as User and the settings had stuck.

I did try to adjust some of the settings in customise and it reverted to High again and I had to repeat the above exercise again, weird when I have administrator privileges.

Hopefully that's the end of it but I now knw how to sort it if it happens again (administrator).

Thanks to all for your assistance and time.

David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

4u1e

A final thought re customising settings - I find the customised settings don't (necessarily) stick unless I terminate and then restart the provider.  (My specific problem was in turning the 'message clean' tags on and off.)

I'm on win95 and v4.1.342, so this may not apply to newer stuff.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I think that this is probably a very good piece of advice, since I remember when I terminated the providers/services I didn't use, I remember something about setting being saved for when/if you restart the provided later.

The trick is getting the custom to stick first, because if it reverts to high when you exit customise any termination settings would be for High (the reverted level).

shgoh

davidr..u can removed unused providers in avast...go to add/remove programs...avast...change

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Shgoh, Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of the selective uninstall of providers, very handy.

I will leave it for the moment until I get a little more experienced with the overall avast package, settings of the different providers, etc. and then uninstall those I will definitely not be using Outlook for one and probably P2P.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 01:30:45 AM by DavidR »