Author Topic: unable to scan, decompression bomb, strange file titles  (Read 3662 times)

Kat Lin

unable to scan, decompression bomb, strange file titles
« on: May 03, 2009, 12:34:34 AM »
I downloaded the free avast home edition this morning.
It found 4 infections   HTML Phish-Bankfraud Trj  and moved them to chest.
They were attached to files from the directory --   back up external drive\Feb 7 06 …etc.

The other 18 files of the 22 files in the scan report said ,  unable to scan, decompression bomb,  and gave error messages when I tried to move or delete. Most of these files  had the following words in the file
“with the cover is beautiful, my favorite colors. The layout looks#      “ and then included a number

While the directories are familiar, (back up external drive\Feb 7 06 …     and  EudoraData\old computer…)  I did not have any files with any similar names of cover, beautiful, colors… .  Also, three of the files with the above phrase are windows temp files that I located and they are dated Feb 9, 2009.
 I only was aware of virus problems starting around April 14.

What should I do now?

Background info:  Last night AVG became disabled by a missing driver. Thus, I uninstalled and am now trying avast.   
When using Norton Internet Security, my computer was attacked and a techie friend then took out and cleaned the hard drive a couple weeks ago.
Thanks for any insight/ help you can provide.

l.lawliet

Re: unable to scan, decompression bomb, strange file titles
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 03:20:56 PM »
Have you tried avast!'s boot scan?

l.lawliet

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 03:21:39 PM »
sorry i did a double post by accident.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:28:45 PM by l.lawliet »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35347.msg297170#msg297170 this topic for more information on why files can't be scanned.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

- Decompression Bomb, a file that is highly compressed, which could be very large when decompressed. This used to be a tactic long ago to swamp the system, also see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15389.msg131213#msg131213.

The name really is the most dangerous thing about this and I wish they would change it or simply not report it, a real PITA.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security