Poll

has SUPERAntiSpyware found anything else than Cookies for you?

Yes
18 (56.3%)
No
9 (28.1%)
I'm not sure
1 (3.1%)
I don't use it
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: a Question from SUPERAntiSpyware users and those people that know it  (Read 17320 times)

CharleyO

Re: a Question from SUPERAntiSpyware users and those people that know it
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2009, 07:37:09 AM »

As I said earlier, just because it doesn't find anything on your system doesn't mean it is a bad program. I too have the Pro version and it very rarely finds anything (I have the tracking cookies check disabled, a waste of time). Do I expect it to find anything, no, but I still use it, belt and braces, lest my trousers fall down.

The same could be said for avast, does it find anything on my system, no, do I expect it to, no, would I not use it, absolutely not. My avast only detects thing when I'm investigation topics in the viruses and worms forum ;D

The same is true for me as it is for David. I do not expect anything to be found but if it is found, I have the programs to protect and clean. These days the only alerts I get from avast are when researching which sometimes takes me to dodgy sites.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 09:42:21 AM »
@Tarq57:  Yes, you are right at all ;)  Thanks!

@Jtaylor83: good to see it worked for you, hope never get any malware again!! ;) Thanks!

@CharleyO: yeah, what David said is true, tnx!
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2009, 12:07:28 PM »
-= Just found an adware today using SAS..! I can't remember the name well but its some sort of sounds like "virtual"..? Well, I've got to change my vote now.. :)

-= Is there any way to change the vote..?
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »
-= Just found an adware today using SAS..! I can't remember the name well but its some sort of sounds like "virtual"..? Well, I've got to change my vote now.. :)

-= Is there any way to change the vote..?

well, it seems I forgot to enable "allow users to change their vote" when I was creating this poll

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2009, 12:13:16 PM »
well, it seems I forgot to enable "allow users to change their vote" when I was creating this poll

-= its okay..

-= Avast found 2 more virtumondes [right, I remember its not virtual.. ;D] on a boot time scan last night..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 12:19:44 PM »
I hate that trojan! it's very bother! but also it's easy to remove ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2009, 04:19:07 PM »
I've dropped down on SuperAntispyware... drivers and services running in background... not necessary for an on-demand scanner.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2009, 04:51:53 PM »
They are there if you use the right click context menu scan (sort of like ashQuick) otherwise it would need to start the service, process, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 04:57:39 PM »
They are there if you use the right click context menu scan (sort of like ashQuick) otherwise it would need to start the service, process, etc.
Yeah... that's why I've dropped it. Lack of detection (I use MBAM and avast) and background running processes.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 05:01:08 PM »
@Tech: Thanks for response :)

@DavidR: anyway it has something on start-up before log-in into windows...

@Tech, well, Tech, now I've mixed avast! (for Web/Network) and Avira (as a standard shield) and MBAM for backup on-demand scanner, so I was thinking if to keep SUPERAntiSpyware or not, finally I said to myself: "Heck! I've lagged down my windows with all thos programs, let superantispyware slow down it more"  :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 05:53:42 PM »
Yeah... that's why I've dropped it. Lack of detection (I use MBAM and avast) and background running processes.

Yes but are you expecting it to detect something, we keep getting back to this it doesn't detect anything, if there is nothing there to detect it hasn't failed.

Between SAS and MBAM I haven't had any true detections, tracking cookies, until I disabled checking for them in SAS and a few False positives in MBAM. So effectively on detections, are they bad because they didn't find anything on my system no in fact if they did I would be disappointed that something managed to get past my pro-active measures in the first place. Will I get ride of either of them No.

Well I use the SAS Pro version, so the resident function is running al the time anyway. However the startup item is what is required for the context scan, if you don't want to use that then you can disable that start-up item or switch it of on SAS I believe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »

Well I use the SAS Pro version, so the resident function is running al the time anyway. However the startup item is what is required for the context scan, if you don't want to use that then you can disable that start-up item or switch it of on SAS I believe.
I've pro version too, but I've disabled real-time protection ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »
I can't understand why you would buy the Pro version and then turn off the resident protection, e.g. what you paid for, you could have stayed with the free version.

To me it is like buying a guard dog and telling it not to bark or bite ;D

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »
well, in fact, I'm using pro to enable additional options such as repair settings and auto update and... :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »
The repair settings are if I remember available in the free version; even with the pro version I don't allow auto updates. They are just too big when on dial-up to let them happen automatically, unlike avast's nice incremental updates.