Author Topic: I have Outlook Express 6 and I can receive email but I can't send emails  (Read 5070 times)

sblane

What am I doing wrong? I uninstalled and reinstalled with no fix. Each time I try to send I recieve this eror message.

'421 Cannot connect to SMTP server, connect error 10061', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

Any suggestions?

sblane

I read some other posts and found a possible temporary solution by terminating the internet mail protection. This can't be the only solution because it would leave me exposed when using internet mail. I'll wait patiently for smarter minds to comment.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Did you download any other antiviruses before Avast? ???
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

sblane

Yes. I had Norton 360. I uninstalled it prior to installing Avast the 1st time. As information, I have Windows XP installed on a Sony Vaio desktop with 512MB RAM and 1 local drive (partitioned C: / D:) with an external drive for back-up. I've installed Avast on the partitioned local drive (D:) to keep from loading up the "Windows" drive (C:). I don't think this has anything to do with the issue but I thought I'd mention it, just in case. Thanks.

Reductase

If your sending mail is on Port 25 and is SSL (encrypted) (even though the error reads No on SSL), Avast by itself can not scan the mail and you could just disable the Internet Mail scan.  Encyrpted mail can not be unencrypted by Avast, you could use additional programs, such as stunnel, to do that but the future Avast 5 is suppossed to have this feature without additional 3rd party programs.

Also, you may have a message that is exceeding the timeout of the server - try to up OE timeout to 600 (5 min), restart OE and see if it sends then. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:03:28 PM by Reductase »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Yes. I had Norton 360. I uninstalled it prior to installing Avast the 1st time.
<snip>

Norton can be a real pig to get rid of even after an uninstall.
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sblane

Thanks for the good suggestions. I changed the OE timeout to 600 s, turned the Internet Mail protection back on and tried to send a simple/short message...no go. I guess I'll just wait on Avast 5 to correct it. I will use the removal tool to get rid of all the Norton/Symantec stuff...I noticed a few Norton files still on during my initial scan.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I didn't think it had anything to do with timing out nor did I think it had anything to do with SSL, if it actually did have something to do with SSL increasing the time out wouldn't make any difference to avast not being able to handle SSL.

Have you tried downloading and running the norton removal tool (?) as this kind of thing, email not working is a common issue with remnants of norton.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sblane

:D

I just removed all the remnants of Norton and it seems to have corrected the problem. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome, I told you so (sorry, couldn't help myself) ;D

Norton is a real pig, I have seen people remove viruses easier ;D