Author Topic: how to cancel the automated Boot-Scan  (Read 5911 times)

Tom

how to cancel the automated Boot-Scan
« on: June 07, 2003, 01:27:06 AM »
Hello together,
Avast4 does a really good job here. Only one problem for me and my XP-Home configuration. At installing Avast i said yes to the Boot-Scan option. From there on, every time the system boots with boot scanning (found some VirusShit in a few archives :-). But it's coasts a lot of time at every boot. So i searched a way to switch it of. After playing with the function 'Shedule Boot-Time Scan' i got now 2 scans a every boot... I have now to press 2 times ESC  :-\

Any idea or hint for me how to switch of the Boot-Scan?

A goood weekend to all!

Tom

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:how to cancel the automated Boot-Scan
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 08:55:26 AM »
Hmm, strange, this is not how it should behave... :(

Try to edit the registry - see http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=178;start=0 .

Please take a note of what was originally in the registry key and post it here - it'd be interesting for me to know what's going on here...

Thanks,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Tom

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 10:42:09 AM »
Hello Vlk,
first TNX for your really fast reaction. Such a service is unfortunately not usually for a free software. I think its the best advertisement you can do  ;)

I searched for the registry entry and found the Key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Also at ControlSet001 and ControlSet003

I found this entry:

autocheck autochk *

C:\PROGRA~1\Avast4\aswBoot.exe /A:"*" /L:"English"
C:\PROGRA~1\Avast4\aswBoot.exe /A:"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Thomas\Eigene Dateien" /L:"English"  
C:\PROGRA~1\Avast4\aswBoot.exe /A:"*" /L:"English"

Three entrys are ok. 1 for Installing and 2 for playing via the settingsdialog.

But there is a problem wit the blanks between 'autocheck autochk *' and the first Line with 'C:\...'  After closing the Key, RegEdit gives a warning that no spaces allowed and that they are deleted automatically.

After that i booted 2 times. At the first the scan began 3 times and at the second. NO SCAN  ;D

Hope I could give you a little hint...

If you need any more information or testing, send me a email: tseibt@gmx.de or here via this threat.

Best whishes, Tom

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 10:02:11 AM »
I thought so.

Some bad-bad program that you had installed before (e.g. some early versions of Norton was known to do this) left the "spaces" in the registry key (which is in fact illegal). That confused our registry-manipulation routine so that it was not able to properly remove the links to avast (and these hence cummulated in the key). You resolved the problem by simply opening the value in the Registry Editor - it fixed the key for you automatically! Now everything should work normally... :)

Cheers,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.