Author Topic: Avast download vs Avast CD  (Read 2606 times)

PAK

Avast download vs Avast CD
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:14:19 AM »
Hi all,

I have Avast Home on two computers.  I am considering upgrading to Avast Professional.  I notice that you can download the program, and also get a "backup CD".  What would be the purpose in getting the backup CD?  I ask this because some years ago I bought the download version of a big name antivirus program.  I was sort of surprised to find that when I downloaded the program it self-installed and I didn't have a program that I could reinstall if I did have problems.  As it turned out I had a lot of problems getting the program to work.  The company fix was to uninstall and reinstall the program.  After three repetitions of this and the program still wouldn't work, I was again told to just redownload it again.  But, it seems that when you bought the program it only entitled you to download (install) it three times.  After that you had to purchase the program again.  I really don't want to go through that again and will never purchase a product from that company again.  So my question to Avast is, if I buy two licenses to Avast Professional, in the download version, am I going to get a program that I can save on a CD or DVD and reload it when and if I need to?  If I download the free version I get a 300kb installer but the program is 189 MB.  I really don't want to repeat the bloodsucking nightmare I went through with the other company.

Thanks for the help,

PAK

onlysomeone

Re: Avast download vs Avast CD
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:56:05 AM »
Hi PAK!

You don't really need the backup CD.
You can always download the installer for Avast Pro - as often and whenever you need it. Its just important to keep your license-key which you get via e-mail... (not for the download but for the new installed program)
http://avast.com/ger/download-avast-professional.html

An other good thing is that if you purchase the Professional version you simply need to enter the key into your Home version and it automatically upgrades to the pro. (Internet-Connection needed).

yours
onlysomeone

PAK

Re: Avast download vs Avast CD
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:29:30 PM »
Thank you onlysomeone.  Thats what I was hoping.

Thanks again,

Phil