Author Topic: How do I access the chest?  (Read 3914 times)

jepwi2004

How do I access the chest?
« on: May 01, 2009, 05:25:45 PM »
Since I did the boot scan and sent the infected files to the chest I am getting more errors. I am guessing this is b/c once in the chest the files have limited functions? How do I reverse the files back to where they were and start over? It found a lot of files infected with the Win 32.virut.cf virus but it seems all sorts of screwed up now that I installed Avast. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Also, we still have Norton installed. I know a lot of people say I should remove it. Does Avast even work with Norton installed?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do I access the chest?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:22:31 PM »
What errors ?

Virut is a virulent file infecter that goes after .exe and .htm/l files, so you could be in some serious trouble if this had already got hold before you installed avast. For every time you open a new .exe file it gets infected and there are very few success stories at getting clear of it without fdisk, format and restore.

There are many Topics in the Viruses and worms forum relating to the win32:virut virus.
Backing up important files first is also fraught with problems as you don't want to save .exe or htm files as when you restore these later you could be reinfecting your system.

I don't know if this may help clean infected files as there are no guarantees when tryiong to repair infected files -  DrWeb CureIt! - See http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/ - Download ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/launch.exe (Free) Fairly effective against file infectors, Virut (infects .exe, .htm and possible others), more so when used in safe mode.

DrWeb also do a Live CD if you are unable to get into your system see, http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/?lng=en, documentation ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/livecd/LiveCD-en.pdf

Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended (more so when one is Norton, though I fear that is the least of your worries) as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jepwi2004

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:03:59 PM »
Thanks. How can I access the chest and reverse what I did or release those files? They are a run ld win type of error. It is also telling me the virtual memory is low.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:46:56 PM »
The errors then related to the infected files which may or may not be required and aren't present, the problem is that when restored they are available, but being infected can then go on to carry out their task (if avast allows them to run, which it won't because they are infected).

So in effect you have a vicious circle if you restore them (see #### below) avast will alert again, if you don't you get the windows errors of a file not being found, etc.

With this infection it may be trying to load files or take other actions, so it may have an impact on virtual memory. But if you have plenty of hard disk space left and your windows settings for Virtual Memory could be increased, see image. However I think by default that is a system managed size, mine I have set it to a custom size.

####
Open the avast Chest, Infected Files section, right click on the file and select restore. avast will most certainly alert, but you can choose No Action which allows them to remain in place (where they are restored to) but not to run.

You may then be able to run DrWeb CureIt preferably the bootable CD version so windows isn't running and trying to use the files. This may or may not be 100% successful in repairing the infected files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jepwi2004

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:17:40 PM »
I'm still unclear on how I open the Avast chest? Also, where do I get the cd to boot for Dr. Web?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 09:38:14 PM »
You start the Simple User Interface, select the Menu or right click and select the Chest, or directly No problem, glad I could help. Welcome to the forums.

You have to have the CD, to be able to burn one, did you visit the first link that I gave as it gives full instructions what to do ?

Did you download the pdf documents file as that is the user manual ?