Author Topic: Inital system scan stops without finishing and asks for action  (Read 2382 times)

webhound

I have the home version. After I installed it, I set it up to run a full, complete <Thorough> scan of my drives.
It was taking such a long time that I just left the PC until the next morning. It only went thru 16% and stopped
and was waiting for me to tell it what to do with some spyware or something somewhat inconsequential to the scan. 
I have no idea at what time during the night it stopped. I was disappointed that it didn't finish the system scan after running all night long.
Every other AV I have used keeps these alerts until it finishes scanning, and then asks for dispositions on them all, one at a time.
Why does avast! take this unusual approach, asking for an action every time it finds something?
I want to set it to run, and forget it until I come back to it (hours later)
and then take care of  All The Alerts At One Time.
What setting am I missing?

onlysomeone

Re: Inital system scan stops without finishing and asks for action
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:06:14 AM »
Usually this is part of the Professional Version...

But you probably can tick a checkbox when the first warning appears - if you tick this box you won't be asked what to be done when the next malware is found... (not sure if this is possible)

yours
onlysomeone

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 10:28:44 AM »
But you probably can tick a checkbox when the first warning appears

-= You may use EICAR test files and save it to the place nearest to those scanned first..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:45:07 PM »
Most free versions of AV's have some aspect missing or limited.
Nag screens, or limited detections, or limited removal capability....

It's fair enough, too. The developers have to eat.

Avast has chosen to limit this aspect (scheduled/unattended scanning), while keeping the detection and removal ability at the same level of the pro version. Unlike most of the others.

This makes it a winner for me.

I suggest to do as chronoboi suggests. Here is a direct download for the test file. It's harmless. You'll need to pause the webshield to download it.http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com.txt. Move it to somewhere at the beginning of the C:\System area, and that way when commencing a scan, you won't have to wait so long for a detection.

For much more info, search the forum for "unattended scan" or Scheduled scan" or similar.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.