Author Topic: Bluescreen because of Web Protection module  (Read 3176 times)

spencerhill

Bluescreen because of Web Protection module
« on: May 01, 2009, 02:21:41 PM »
Hi!
Since a few time i got regularely a bluescreen, almost always when Firefox was running, specially while closing. The cause was the web protection module of Avast. Since i deactivated this, my pc runs without any problems. I had the same problem on two different PC, both with XP SP2 (one with Pentium III, the other with Athlon XP). So the cause could only be found in XP. Does anyone know, if a special Service of Windows must run, a preference must been set or an update must been installed?

thx, spencerhill

onlysomeone

Re: Bluescreen because of Web Protection module
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 04:14:57 PM »
Hi spencerhill!

Do or did you use any other security software on this computer?
If yes, which one was it and how did you remove it?

For Windows XP there already is the SP3 available.
You find the german SP3 here.

Which version of Avast is installed? (rightclick the avast symbol in the taskbar --> "Über avast!..." --> avast! Version 4.x xxx; Build: 4.x.xxxx)

yours
onlysomeone

YoKenny

Re: Bluescreen because of Web Protection module
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »
If you have not installed SP3 that has been available for almost a year and the AMD problem has been resoved as well then the systems are probably infected and a boot time scan is needed:
http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php

Windows Service Pack 3 has been available for almost a year and contains several Critical Security updates so in Internet Explorer go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Also you should enable Automatic Updates or at least be notified that Updates are available.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online