Author Topic: Replacement avast! Home Edition  (Read 7966 times)

Mike Buxton

Re: Replacement avast! Home Edition
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 05:34:28 PM »
Hi Mike098,

That was good sensible advice from onlysomeone.

My final thought is buy a 250 GB external hard drive and make regular clones and backups.

Then if an infection hits your dad or his hard drive fries it is probable that almost everything could be restored exactly as it was.

My regards

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 07:21:45 PM »
If you download Spyware Terminator then download ClamWin from within Spyware Terminator, Spyware Terminator will use ClamWin in real-time.

This may someday be your only option for a real-time av in 9x os's.

Mike098

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 10:35:36 PM »
If I wait until avast! Home Edition support ends for Windows 98SE and do nothing, my father's computer will be unprotected! I have to search now, because it is not easy to find a good antivirus with antispyware for Windows 98SE. ;)

Mike098

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 10:48:16 PM »
Thank you rdmaloyjr, but I have read that ClamWin uses 100% of the CPU with the newest version as well with not so recent versions. I am afraid that this will ruin the computer with 98SE in the end  :(. I did a thorough research for antivirus programs for 98SE and its disadvantages. Now I only have the AhnLab V3 Internet Security 2007 Platinum left over as a option, but can't find any review about it.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 10:53:04 PM »
Thank you rdmaloyjr, but I have read that ClamWin uses 100% of the CPU with the newest version as well with not so recent versions. I am afraid that this will ruin the computer with 98SE in the end  :(. I did a thorough research for antivirus programs for 98SE and its disadvantages. Now I only have the AhnLab V3 Internet Security 2007 Platinum left over as a option, but can't find any review about it.

I use ClamWin for scheduled scans & I have no such problem.  No problems at all.

Try it for yourself.

Mike098

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 11:05:49 PM »
According to CNet download.com: Spyware Terminator is for Windows 2K and higher. The 100% CPU useage would be happen when ClamWin scans.

Mike098

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 11:11:58 PM »
Dear Mike Buxton,

If I buy a Western Digital My Book Essential external Hard Disc Drive, which is a good HDD, I have to have Windows 2000 or higher.

King regards, Mike098.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 11:26:33 PM »
Well my best suggestion is you buy a new computer and got Avast! as a anti virus :) Sorry for say this but well i can say in 2009 there more powerfull computer like mine i use is really good for gaming and work but its cost a lot so yeah but its worth the price :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:30:24 PM by Mr.Agent »

Mike Buxton

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 11:38:32 PM »
Hi for the last time,

If your dad uses the free version of MailWasher, and is careful, he can view each email without downloading from his ISP and he can delete any dodgy ones.

A regards Firefox Portable, with noscript and Web of Trust add-ons, there is nothing to lose and all to gain. There is nothing to learn and it is extra to IE6 not instead of it, except when Avast support ends do not continue using IE6. He could also, with both IE6 and Firefox use Dr.Web AV to check before downloading (e.g. any PDF document or Program).

My machine is 12 years old. My computer habits are cautious and as it has happened before, I am as concerned with drive failure as I am with infections.

Just clone/backup or be prepared to reinstall 98SE and all programs, without data, from scratch.

I really wish you both well but the choices will only reduce. Avast is currently a superb solution; but though Avast provides, I guesstimate, say, between 95% to 98% protection  for 98SE that may mean being open to a possible 1,000 or so new infections every month.

My regards

PS Earlier this year I purchased a 250 GB Buffalo Ministation for less than £50.