Author Topic: Automatic Deletion of Malware/Threat:  (Read 3010 times)

TheRebel

Automatic Deletion of Malware/Threat:
« on: May 04, 2009, 10:35:16 PM »
Dear All,

I'm using avast! home edition version 4.8

Kindly help me regarding two issues:

1. If i run a complete/full computer scan, are there any settings, that if any malware(threat) is detected, it is automatically moved to chest or deleted by Avast!

2. secondly, if a usb (pen drive) is inserted in the PC, are there any settings, that avast! automatically starts scanning it?

Awaiting your reply.

Regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Automatic Deletion of Malware/Threat:
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:46:42 PM »
1. Only in Professional version there is a fully automated process. You can use Silent Mode in the provider settings for a much less configurable solution in home version.

2. USBVirusScan will launch any program you provide as a command line parameter each time a USB stick is inserted. I use it to start a full virus scan on the inserted USB drive: http://blog.didierstevens.com/programs/usbvirusscan/

The command-line that worked for me is:
"<path>\USBVirusScan.exe" -c -i "<path>\avast4\ashQuick.exe" x:

Where you need to change the <paths> for the both correct ones and the x: for the letter of your USB drive.
The best things in life are free.

TheRebel

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:53:30 PM »
Thanks.

1. Regarding the automatic deletion of threats, u said use the silent mode, but the silent mode option is available standard shield and web shield only, not in the full computer scan.

Kindly tell me what is the difference b/w web shiedl and network shield?

THanks in advance.

Regards,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:43:41 AM »
Regarding the automatic deletion of threats, u said use the silent mode, but the silent mode option is available standard shield and web shield only, not in the full computer scan.
Precisely. This is possible only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

Well, that's the way it is, I am afraid; you may call it a limitation of the Home Edition of avast!. In the Professional Edition, you can configure the task to perform automatic actions (or, don't do anything).
In the Home version, you may check the "Don't show again" checkbox in the Virus warning dialog - but only after the first virus has been found (because you won't see the virus dialog until then).

Or you can use Silent Mode:

Left click the 'a' blue icon.
It will start On-access protection

Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.
But take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28088.msg229736#msg229736

Do the same for the and Outlook/Exchange plugin.
The answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning. You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.

You can do the same for Standard Shield provider, but it won't be a good idea...

Silent mode in the case of the WebShield provider simply means that avast will keep pressing the "Abort connection" button for the user automatically.

Kindly tell me what is the difference b/w web shiedl and network shield?
Network Shield filters traffic coming from all applications (not only browsers), and on all ports. It checks encrypted malware in sites also.
WebShield scans all http traffic (mostly for browsers).

TheRebel

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:39:04 AM »
Thanks a lot for ur help  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 02:24:20 PM »
Thanks a lot for ur help  :)
You're welcome. If you want to help me, don't thank me, just sign up & use (sign up only is not enough) Mozy to get 2,200 Mb for free remote backup system. Enjoy its safety!