Author Topic: avast! creating TEMP folder under my system drive, can this be changed?  (Read 10879 times)

artfuldodga

my temp directory is not C:\TEMP , i changed it long ago, but after installing avast! more than a few times daily its recreated...  i'm pretty sure its avast! creating it, i forget how to tell what app has created what directory (that would be helpful as well)

regardless, how can i make sure avast uses the proper temp directory?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:44:29 AM by artfuldodga »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I thought avast used the Temp folder that is in your system variables ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

artfuldodga

it should, how can i tell what program might be creating it, if its not avast? :P i just noticed it started to appear after avast install, and avast is basically the only thing running, yes even in the background

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well even if avast uses the Windows\Temp folder it creates its own sub-folder, _avast4_ so if that is present, again it only uses it to extract files from archives to be scanned and once complete it should clears up after itself, removing the unpacked scanned files (named unp99999999.tmp, the 9999 bit represents a sequence of numeric characters).

So where is the _avast4_ folder located on your system ?

If it isn't avast I have no idea what might be using it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

artfuldodga

yeah, it looks like "_avast4_" is in the right spot, i guess its not avast.
have any idea of a program that monitors directory creation? :P
(update: later discovered to actually be avast causing the issue)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:55:45 AM by artfuldodga »

onlysomeone

What files/folders are in the TEMP folder?
probably its something common for a special program...

artfuldodga

empty, every time i check, i have it set to view hidden files as well... nothing ever in there
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:01:46 PM by artfuldodga »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
yeah, it looks like "_avast4_" is in the right spot, i guess its not avast.
have any idea of a program that monitors directory creation? :P

Difficult to find if the program concerned just dumps the files in the root of the Temp folder and doesn't create its own sub-folder.

The only clue you might have is if you google some of the file names or the file type being associate with a particular program. It is I would say highly unusual to have to set it to view hidden files as the Temp folder in Windows isn't/shouldn't be a hidden folder. Once you set view hidden files and folders (see image), etc. you shouldn't have to subsequently keep setting it so there is something else going on.

You can Edit you Topic title now that we have established that avast isn't the culprit ;D
Click the Modify button in your first post and change the Title to better reflect the problem, now we know it isn't avast at fault.

artfuldodga

no no, i've set it in Explorer to view hidden files/folders/protected system files etc ... the TEMP folder being created is not hidden (not marked hidden) and there seems to be nothing created inside when it is created

so, nothing out of the ordinary going on, just C:\TEMP being created for a reason i can't see yet
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:17:17 PM by artfuldodga »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Why don't you leave it there but set it to write protected, e.g. Read only.

See if that doesn't trip up what is creating it and have it throw up an error.

artfuldodga

not sure if that will work actually...  its already set read only, for the files in the folder, don't see an option to set the folder itself as read only
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:30:32 PM by artfuldodga »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Then al I can suggest is see if you can bump up the security settings, (file Properties, Security tab, Advanced button) and either edit the User permissions, or set a Specific Owner, which 'may' block writing/adding to that folder. There is also the Effective Permissions, which can be further tweaked. Unfortunately I have never tried any of this, so I don't know if it would work.

Unfortunately I don't have any other ideas to track down what may be creating this folder, why it isn't subsequently removed and why there are no files in it when you check...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
i'm pretty sure its avast! creating it
Well, I'm not that self-confident... avast uses the system temporary folder.
The best things in life are free.

artfuldodga

trying to track it down now with Process Monitor :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Good luck.