Author Topic: avast! creating TEMP folder under my system drive, can this be changed?  (Read 10887 times)

artfuldodga

looks like avast was the issue, any idea why its doing that when C:TEMP is not my temp dir?
right click view image to see full size

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:52:17 AM by artfuldodga »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Do you have the %TEMP% / %TMP% environment variables set correctly? (i.e. set, and pointing to an existing folder)

artfuldodga

see above Files/Garbage/TEMP
and TMP is there too

all seems correct under system enviroment settings

its where i found the folder mentioned earlier C:\Files\Garbage\_avast4_ ... and some files outside that folder for avast
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:06:59 AM by artfuldodga »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
The avast team generously allowed an override for the use of temporary space some years ago and have maintained it.

If you wish avast to use something other than the default temporary Windows disk space assignment (and yes, there are very good reasons for some of us to do so) then you may create the the registry key highlighted in the image below (click on the image to expand it).  If you choose to do so please take care in creating the registry key.

artfuldodga

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
see above Files/Garbage/TEMP
and TMP is there too

My guess is that avast setup cannot write there, or even see such a path (the error NAME_NOT_FOUND, visible in the log, suggests that).

artfuldodga

there are avast update files present, granted 1 and 0 kb ... and the _avast dir, what would be the cause of that, i can see it, other apps can write there

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
The _avast_ subdir is used e.g. by avast! services (i.e. a process running under LOCALSYSTEM account). The setup, especially if you are installing avast!, runs under the currently logged-on user... might be the difference (or rather, I can't think of anything else right now).

artfuldodga

alright well, if you come up with any more information let me know here :) ... i'm just glad i found what was doing it

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
looks like avast was the issue, any idea why its doing that when C:TEMP is not my temp dir?
right click view image to see full size

Strange that as avast.setup doesn't create a C:\Temp folder on my system, that's why it threw me as my environment variables are the default, I never changed them on this new system.

Though there is an _avast4_ folder in the usual Docs&Settings area, C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp\_avast4_. So perhaps that stops it creating the C:\Temp folder.

Good that Alan has remember the way to set it to a location of your choice.

Edit: Note you will need to disable the avast self-defence module in Program Settings, Troubleshooting, to be able to edit the avast registry keys. Don't forget to enable it after you are done, assuming you decide to go that way.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:15:47 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

artfuldodga

yeah already did that, figured it was avast protecting itself... after i couldn't do anything to the keys :P lol weird though, perhaps this needs to be looked into... will let you know here after a bunch of hours if the reg mod eliminates the creation of the TEMP folder
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:35:42 PM by artfuldodga »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I think you might need to do a reboot for the changes to take effect as they are registry changes and not within the program.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

artfuldodga

looks like its still being created, oh well :P

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Thats something wrong on your end. TEMP folder is under %windir%\TEMP and under user profile.
You seem to have moved the folder somehow.
I have all TEMP folders directed to a TEMP folder on another physical drive (root folder) and i have no problems. Works just fine. It's also smart to point both TMP and TEMP to the same folder.
You can do that under Advanced Settings (My Computer)->System Variables
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog