Author Topic: Avast! scored 99.2% detection rate in the new MRG test  (Read 19951 times)

sampler

Re: Avast! scored 99.2% detection rate in the new MRG test
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 05:04:18 PM »
Hi,

Factually, the top 5 were:
99.6% 1st a-squared
99.6% 1st Avira
99.4% 3rd G Data
99.2% 4th Avast
99.0% 5th Norton

Visit:
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/scanner/
for a more recent (and for many a controversial) test. 

My regards

There is no doubt that a-squared has very good detection, but they did use their own samples so therefore the results should be looked at from place 2. One thing that caused controversy in that test was the fact that they used MalwareBytes in it, which was not welcomed by some >:(
The good thing for Avast is that it got a very good result in that test also ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 05:28:34 PM »
which was not welcomed by some >:(
Can you elaborate? ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot

sampler

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 06:43:47 PM »
Can you elaborate? ???

Well some users think that MBAM is the best Anti-Malware program, and other don't. I saw that many fans of MalwareBytes didn't like so see their favorite program get only 1.5% detection ratio in that test...
Now what is confusing here is that nobody knows what this program is really for (well I do ;D) , some say a removal tool, others say that it is a full Anti-Malware program and @ the end many people remain confused ???
Lets take Avast for example, it is a FULL Anti-Malware program, in my opinion at least :P

gery

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 09:36:25 PM »
Can you elaborate? ???

Well some users think that MBAM is the best Anti-Malware program, and other don't. I saw that many fans of MalwareBytes didn't like so see their favorite program get only 1.5% detection ratio in that test...
Now what is confusing here is that nobody knows what this program is really for (well I do ;D) , some say a removal tool, others say that it is a full Anti-Malware program and @ the end many people remain confused ???

correct
Lets take Avast for example, it is a FULL Anti-Malware program, in my opinion at least :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »
nobody knows what this program is really for (well I do ;D) , some say a removal tool, others say that it is a full Anti-Malware program and @ the end many people remain confused ???
From their site...

Have you ever considered what makes an anti-malware application effective? We at Malwarebytes have created an easy-to-use, simple, and effective anti-malware application. Whether you know it or not your computer is always at risk of becoming infected with viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and malware that are constantly evolving and becoming harder to detect and remove. Only the most sophisticated anti-malware techniques can detect and remove these malicious programs from your computer.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is considered to be the next step in the detection and removal of malware. In our product we have compiled a number of new technologies that are designed to quickly detect, destroy, and prevent malware. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can detect and remove malware that even the most well known anti-virus and anti-malware applications fail to detect. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they even start. The Realtime Protection Module uses our advanced heuristic scanning technology which monitors your system to keep it safe and secure. In addition, we have implemented a threats center which will allow you to keep up to date with the latest malware threats.

gery

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 03:19:22 PM »
p removed SAS from my computer and from my laptop and will not have them anymore or at list do not need them. if i ever would like to have a scan i will download and install scan and uninstall again. Something really irritating happens every time i start the laptop and it hangs a few seconds 30 - 40 maybe because of SAS starting screen . they found nothing anyway

Diazruanova

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 03:51:23 PM »
removed SAS from my computer and from my laptop and will not have them anymore or at list do not need them. if i ever would like to have a scan i will download and install scan and uninstall again. Something really irritating happens every time i start the laptop and it hangs a few seconds 30 - 40 maybe because of SAS starting screen . they found nothing anyway

Maybe if you would have read the SAS help carefully, you would have discovered that on S.A.S>Preferences>General and StartUp tab>SartUp options, there is an option: Show Splash Screen on StartUp that enables or disables precisely that, what you call the Starting Screen and also, if you had visited: S.A.S>Preferences> General and StartUp tab>StartUp Scanning, you would have discovered that there is another option:Do NOT scan when S.A.S starts, which does precisely that and also on S.A.S>Preferences>Real Time Protection>Enable First Time Prevention which enables or NOT a Scan on system start-up or Shut Down you would have found that by disabling this option, your startup times would become faster, but only if you would have read the SAS help file!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:55:56 PM by Diazruanova »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »
p removed SAS from my computer and from my laptop and will not have them anymore or at list do not need them. if i ever would like to have a scan i will download and install scan and uninstall again. Something really irritating happens every time i start the laptop and it hangs a few seconds 30 - 40 maybe because of SAS starting screen . they found nothing anyway
I feel the same with SAS due to background services and drivers. But we were talking about MBAM ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »
<snip>
Maybe if you would have read the SAS help carefully, you would have discovered that on S.A.S>Preferences>General and StartUp tab>SartUp options, there is an option: Show Splash Screen on StartUp that enables or disables precisely that, what you call the Starting Screen and also, if you had visited: S.A.S>Preferences> General and StartUp tab>StartUp Scanning, you would have discovered that there is another option:Do NOT scan when S.A.S starts, which does precisely that and also on S.A.S>Preferences>Real Time Protection>Enable First Time Prevention which enables or NOT a Scan on system start-up or Shut Down you would have found that by disabling this option, your startup times would become faster, but only if you would have read the SAS help file!

Some of the options aren't available in the free version and presumably that was what gery was using.

Such as you can't switch off the startup splash screen in the free version.

Since the free version doesn't have the resident scanning, I don't believe it does a startup scan (only in the pro version) and the same with the Enable First Time Prevention a Pro version option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hlecter

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »
I feel the same with SAS due to background services and drivers. But we were talking about MBAM ::)

Tech: Do you mean when running SAS only on demand. I haven't found any extra services.
Which services?

Regards

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »
I can't recall which service runs in the free version but it most certainly does as it is used for the context menu scanning of files.

I believe you can disable that option, so there should be no need for the service, which you could set to manual. So it wouldn't start until you start SAS to do an on-demand scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 04:48:07 PM »
Tech: Do you mean when running SAS only on demand. I haven't found any extra services.
Which services?
Yes.
If I remember correctly (as I do not have SAS anymore), there was a service running in background.
Besides, there are system drivers being loaded at boot/logon time.

hlecter

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 04:55:01 PM »
@David and Tech:

I have SAS free version with context-menu scan disabled on one machine.

I can say for sure that no service that appear in services.msc belongs to SAS.
Conserning loaded drivers I really don't know, but don't care :)

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 05:02:56 PM »
Ye,s the service running never bothered me either (it uses negligible resources, sat idle) when I used the free version or I wouldn't have bought the Pro version with even more resources ;D

Edit, Ah just noticed all the threes, 33333.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:05:09 PM by DavidR »