Author Topic: Panda Cloud Antivirus (beta) Review  (Read 8472 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Panda Cloud Antivirus (beta) Review
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 05:16:40 PM »
I was wondering,
Did you also post a review of avast! on the Panda forum ???  ;D ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 06:16:23 PM »
Not to mention there is a topic already relating to Panda Cloud (you may even have started it, who knows) you could have added this there. But from what came out in the other topic no way will this cloud get near my system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »
Did you also post a review of avast! on the Panda forum    

ehh...mmm...he he  ;D  no but this was more like, is this the future of antivirus. Will Avast be in the cloud one day ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:49:21 AM »
Will Avast be in the cloud one day ?
What does "be in the could" mean?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 02:03:52 AM »
For me this Panda Cloud isn't cloud computing when you have to download around 70MB worth of ancillary bits to run it, hell that's a full blown AV installation not a cloud - avast desktop AV only requires 31MB download.

Cloud computing is a style of computing in which dynamically scalable and often virtualized resources are provided as a service over the Internet.[1][2][3][4][not in citation given]
Users need not have knowledge of, expertise in, or control over the technology infrastructure "in the cloud" that supports them.

So this is one very fat cloud dumping all over us.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 06:02:47 AM »
What does "be in the could" mean?

It's like when you have an app, e.g. MS Office, installed on a server and/or on client PCs. You can run the copy of Excel installed on a client PC completely independent of the server/network. Or you can run it installed on the server from the client, as a remote (thin-client) application. In this model the server equates to the "cloud".

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 06:22:39 AM »
For me this Panda Cloud isn't cloud computing when you have to download around 70MB worth of ancillary bits to run it, hell that's a full blown AV installation not a cloud - avast desktop AV only requires 31MB download.

So this is one very fat cloud dumping all over us.

A security app that could be a users only protection can't be completely "in the cloud" because it has to protect when the cloud's not there!
Panda's beta could be more accurately named "Cloud Hybrid Antivirus". They've tried to make it as novice-user-friendly as possible by moving the maintenance, updating and analysis of unknown malware into the cloud, but there must always be some serious resident real-time protection for when there is no or slow internet connectivity.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »
Totally agree, there is no way an AV or other security application can be totally on-line as malware doesn't only get on your system on-line.

That was my backhanded way of pointing it out, you still need to download in the region of 70MB of files. So this is no cloud in the true sense of the definition and in my mind more hype and marketing than anything else.

So as soon as you have the AV element installed it becomes resident (if there is any hope of protecting against of-line infection) and could conflict with avast. So for me as I said in the other topic on this, I will let this cloud pass right by.

sded

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 05:09:52 PM »
In spite of the bad name cloud computing hype gets, there are some things that seem to make sense.  I am using Prevx 3, which is really an augmentation of conventional AVs, although it does do the AV/AM functions fine by itself as long as you are online.  It is really a tool for looking for new threats that may not be in a conventional AV DB yet, although it has a bunch of other features for BB etc.  Runs fine alongside Avast! and is very small.  Data base is only a couple of MB, program about a MB, scan reports to data center a couple of MB.  It scans and keeps a map of your system and looks for new processes, evaluates their characteristics and reports them to the data center, and gets feedback on threat potential from the data center and other users via the same link.  If you are offline, doesn't really do much, but online works very quickly to characterize and report threats.  Essentially a way to instrument the users as collection/evaluation centers that produce data that can be shared across the community via the "cloud".  Similar concept to http://rationalsecurity.typepad.com/blog/2007/12/thinning-the-he.html .  Panda just sounds guilty of "cloud abuse".  :)  Various discussions of Prevx on Wilders on everything from performance, FPs, privacy considerations, future plans, ...  .
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:12:05 PM by sded »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 05:54:04 PM »
Now that is more like what I would consider a cloud application, light, as the heavy work is done server side and not client side. Especially as it runs alongside your existing AV without interference.