Author Topic: Windows 7 fails here....  (Read 11691 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows 7 fails here....
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 05:31:48 PM »
Isn't it "known to the system" which means there is an association for the extension in question ?
You know the answer: yes.
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 05:57:21 PM »
Well, isn't odd enough that something DOES have an extension even though they are hidden? That would have raised my eyebrow so why doing it the other way around and confusing users with 2 visible extensions (one real and another fake one)?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »
Isn't it "known to the system" which means there is an association for the extension in question ?

That is the true problem, as it is the poor user that has the problem as they don't know either those file types known to the system or otherwise. I fail to remember the number of times when we send a user to check/modify the avast4.ini file only for them to come back and say they can't find it, there is no avast4.ini file, but there is an avast4 file.

So the system know the ini file type and doesn't display it and the user is the one suffering the confusion and this isn't the only file type which could cause this confusion when trying to find a file. It seems crazy to do this as there can't be any real overhead in simply displaying all file types.

Well, isn't odd enough that something DOES have an extension even though they are hidden? That would have raised my eyebrow so why doing it the other way around and confusing users with 2 visible extensions (one real and another fake one)?

But at least when they can see all file types, they will see all the rest only have one, so would that not raise their suspicions to at least seek advice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pranaysharma94

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 07:13:41 PM »
Has the beta version of Windows 7 been introduced?? Where is it available???

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 07:24:36 PM »
DavidR, wouldn't extension existing where it shouldn't do the same? There shouldn't be any .JPG appended to any file if extensions are hidden (as by default). So if user spots that it should work with caution.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 07:43:12 PM »

No, the RC version has been released which is later in the development phase of windows7 than the beta, which has ended.

Check the forums as suggested earlier for the other windows 7 topics/posts there are some links.

DavidR, wouldn't extension existing where it shouldn't do the same? There shouldn't be any .JPG appended to any file if extensions are hidden (as by default). So if user spots that it should work with caution.

The problem being the user isn't to know that, how do they know if the extension should exist or not. That is the point of my first statement about the hide extensions for known extension types, known to whom, certainly not to your average user. They wouldn't know it isn't displayed because it is a known type (to the system/MS), hell they can't see the file type to understand that it is a known type. It is the proverbial chicken and egg, how do they know when they can't see.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pranaysharma94

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »
What is the Rc version? ??? ???

CharleyO

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 08:37:20 PM »

RC = Release Candidate

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 05:23:41 PM »
It's been released and links are posted here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=19387.msg376257#msg376257
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 05:39:20 PM »
Win 7 RC succeeded here.  ;D ;D

Actually Win 7 RC Fails, thats the version F-Secure used at the link in Polonus' post.
Mac,
If you look carefully at the picture I posted, you'll notice it shows the .iso extension.
This picture was made on an updated Win7 system.

Showing extensions always required a settings change. No different now.
Why is this such a big deal in Win7 ?  It wasn't mentioned in Vista.
Or is this just another ploy by the usual MS bashers  ???

I found the upgrade to be extremely smooth and without any troubles.

I upgraded one Vista system and one test computer that had used a previous beta version of Win 7.

This was just the opinion of Mikko H. Hyppönen, F-Secure's Chief Research Officer, that he thinks (as do others) that it should not be hidden by default. Its not some "ploy" against Microsoft, although I would be thrilled if there was one  ;D
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 09:19:12 PM »
I agree with lukor. Plus, if extension is there, users can break themself. Imagine users renaming lets say avast.exe to avast.exf or erasing entire extension and then wondering why the program doesn't work anymore. Thats probably the main reason why MS prefers extensions to be hidden.

Agreed,  I've had too many users rename something and lose the extension.On the computers I service I keep the extensions hidden and warn the users.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!